 Gaming / 519
Re: BrikWars 1942!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 14:23:16 GMT

Mr L F Braun wrote:

<historian-nitpick>
You probably ought to call it "BrikWars 1944," or at least find a good reason
why/how a US military squad would be in occupied France two years before D-Day.
"Turned right instead of left at Kenosha, oh darn" or perhaps recasting it as a
commando operation, the sort of which did occur between '40 and '44?  That last
would definitely make it a case of no support possible for the Allies, as well as
a great segue into why this skirmish happens here.  Of course, this is all
desiderata, I'm just trying to feel valuable somehow.  ;)
</historian-nitpick>

I was thinking maybe we should try and use the lend-lease program as an excuse, and
pretend that we were also lend-leasing some troops? ;)  Ahh, naah, nobody will buy
it.  I s'pose we could either:

(a) become inspired and re-type the title on the webpage (which is to say 'I could
volunteer Eric to do so :D), or

(b) laugh at it, knowing that there have to be tons of 1950s and 60s comic books that
have made much worse WWII historical transgressions than that, and in keeping with
the general tone of the battle, embracing that philosophy wholeheartedly.  Plus, the
title was originally chosen as a quick e-mail subject while planning the event,
before the venue was decided on (originally, we were thinking of having it be in
North Africa: then, a lush and green scenery reared its head and forced a
reconsideration) - and for some reason, it rings nice in my ear (or is that the
construction outside?).

I vote for (b) - seems like less work for Eric ;)

I will have to say, it was tremendously fun.  For one thing, we never had to figure
out any point values at all - based on the vehicles that had been constructed, we
*knew* the Allies were going to be hopelessly outnumbered (ugh, did I really say
hopelessly?  I hide my head in shame - how did I lose all 18 guys?).  Therefore, some
of the possible objectives might have been much easier to accomplish than the
"complete annhialation" scenario Eric rolled - for example, the assassination of the
general could have been a quick surgical strike, and then a hasty retreat.  There was
the uncertainty, there was the intrigue, there was the general
comic-booky-yet-historically-contexted (made up word?) feel to the game (also
exemplified by the juxtaposition of relatively realistic models alongside relatively
dwarfish minifigs) - it made for a great game!

did any of that make *any* sense? :)

-s