 Gaming / 1850
Re: BrickQuest first questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:42:51 GMT

In lugnet.gaming, Peter F. Guenther wrote:
   Questions are great... thanks for asking!

I always start all characters out with one healing potion, and clerics and wizards out with one spell point potion as well (regenerates d6 points). Other potions scattered in treasure around the dungeon can restore 1 or 2 dice worth of points...
Nice tips. Thanks.

   do what makes sense visually, since Lego is a visual medium.
Good rule.

   7) In the image below, which are valid targets for a charging Fighter? + If the previous point is valid, then can he charge square 2 by moving to square A, or is that not a straight line?
Definitely not, because the target is not along the line of movement.
OK, so for a line of movement to be in a straight line, it must be in one of the four cardinal directions or along one of the four primary diagonals? So in the diagram, if there were a creature adjacent to position 1, there’s no way the fighter could charge it from where he is, right?

   9) Critical Hits. A Wizard with 2 Attack Dice gets a critical if she rolls two sixes, a 1 in 36 chance. Does a Dward with 3 Attack Dice get a critical only by rolling three sixes (a 1 in 216 chance)? That’s the way I read the rule, but it just doesn’t seem fair.

That is the way it works. It’s a game balance issue for weaker characters, not an attempt to model reality. It gives the weaker characters a chance to do damage against tougher opponents... whereas the tougher characters don’t need the chance.
It still seems unfair to me. If it read; If an attacker with more than one Attack Die rolls at least two 6s, he is considered to have made a critical hit. A critical hit causes a minimum of one point of damage to the defender for each 6 rolled. Example: A wizard with 2 Attack Dice makes an attack on a Dwarf with 4 Defense Dice. The wizard’s Attack roll is 2 sixes (12), but the dwarf’s Defense roll totals 17. Because this is a critical hit for the wizard, he still deals 2 points of damage to the Dwarf.

It wouldn’t make much difference for tough characters, because they would usually beat their minimum damage, but it would seem more fair. By the way, with the above rule the odds of a critical are 8.8% on three Attack Dice v. 2.78% for two dice. With 4 Attack Dice, it’s 18.6%. With 5, I think it’s 31%.

10) Ethereality.
Anyhow it’s part of the fun for DMs to make stuff up as they go along...
Absolutely. I guess the basis for my question was in part an attempt to get at the flavor of spell casting. Should spells fail gracefully or spectacularly? Your answer seems to fall in the middle, nearer the graceful end. Perhaps such consequences should be left to the BrickMaster’s fancy--to develop his own style.

A similar issue arises if one teleports to an occupied square.

   I’ve made notes on all this for the draft of 2.0 2.0 also includes all sorts of new funness: -More flexible character creation
Yeah!

   -Differentiation between weapons
Yahoo!

   -Rules and a different modular system for multiple players to bring dungeon rooms and build the dungeon for each game
Look forward to seeing how you managed to improve your current dungeon module system.

   Thanks for the questions though! Very helpful...
You’re welcome!

-Brian