 Gaming / 1848
Re: BrickQuest first questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 02:13:05 GMT

Hi Brian. I’ve played the game once at GenCon, so I’ll answer what I can.

In lugnet.gaming, Brian B. Alano wrote:
   I just read through the BrickQuest rules, and I’m quite impressed. I have a number of questions I hope Peter can answer, though. I haven’t played a game yet, so please forgive the more ignorant questions.

1) Although the Wizard has powerful spells, it seems like he would run out of Spell Points pretty quickly. 14 spell points lookes like it would work out to just 4 or 5 spells per game. After that he’s just an archer. Or is there a way (besides Infuse) that he can regain spell points during a game?

Look in the Swag page on the website. There’s a Mana Potion that restores a dice roll’s worth of spell points.

   2) The terms “squares” and “spaces” seem to be interchangeable. Are they?

I believe that’s the case.

3) What is a BrickRuler? I can’t find a definition or picture of one.

It’s like the 2x16 plate we used at your BrikWars game, but it’s made of several bricks lined up on a long plate. It’s used to determine whether you and/or the baddie are in range for ranged weapons/spells.

   4) I’m not firm on the who’s in and out of the firing arc. In the image below, have I drawn the Wizard’s firing arc (in red) correcty? Are creatures at the squares marked “1” and “3” within the arc?

If I recall right, the BrickRuler determines that.

   5) When an object which contains a creature is forced open, the creature within is placed on a square square adjacent to the object. What if there are no empty adjacent squares? Would the creature have to remain on/in the object until a square opens up? If so, perhaps it would be limited to move actions only during this time?

There’s usually an empty space, as 1 player is often all that’s needed to open an object. Since players take turns in moving their characters, it’s not likely an object will be surrounded totally by characters.

   6) When a character passes an item to a second character, does receiving the item count as an action on the part of the second character?

I don’t think so.

   7) In the image below, which are valid targets for a charging Fighter?
  1. I believe the Fighter can charge a creature at square 1 by moving to square B.
  2. Can he charge square 4 by moving to square C (because it counts as 2 squares of movement)?
  3. If the previous point is valid, then can he charge square 2 by moving to square A, or is that not a straight line?
  4. If the previous point is valid, then can he charge square 3 by moving to square A (or would he have to turn 90 degrees left first?)

I think it depends on the movement rule. Don’t quite remember if going diagonally requires you to move 1 square forward, then 1 square to the side.

   8) Climbing ropes or chains.
  • Must a character be in the square with a rope or in the square adjacent to the rope in order to climb it? It would seem like either should work.
  • If a character is climbing a rope 90 bricks high, he will have to make 10 rolls to successfully climb to the top. If he fails his very first roll, does he take 30 (90 / 3) or 3 (9 / 3) points of damage?

The dungeon I played in wasn’t that high, only about 1 minifig story high with 1 entrance above that with stairs leading down to the dungeon. Besides, 90 bricks high would be somewhat unwieldy for building dungeons. :)

   9) Critical Hits. A Wizard with 2 Attack Dice gets a critical if she rolls two sixes, a 1 in 36 chance. Does a Dward with 3 Attack Dice get a critical only by rolling three sixes (a 1 in 216 chance)? That’s the way I read the rule, but it just doesn’t seem fair.

That’s because each character has different strengths - that’s why I chose a Dwarf when I played the game - he may be short, but he’s strong! Thus the 3 Attack Dice for the Dwarf, which means more likelihood of doing damage even if it’s not critical.

   10) Ethereality. Can an ethereal creature end its movement in an occupied square or within a floor or wall? If so, what happens if the spell ends under this condition? Is the creature bumped into an adjacent empty square? If so, and no empty square exists, is it killed?

That I don’t know, as there wasn’t such a creature in the game I played.

   That’s all for now. Thanks in advance?

Hope my answers helped somewhat.

John