 Gaming / 1321
Re: Dragon's Archipelago
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 01:35:28 GMT

<snip>
http://www.lugnet.com/DraKen/Status

Character creation process. (lets
you generate a short one line description
of a character instead of taking a
paragraph to do the same. Useful for
quick reference, a character 'geek code',
if I might say.)

http://www.lugnet.com/~1112/DraKen/Classes

Descriptions of chracters. (but for
levity, I believe we should skip the
numeric values for now...)

ill check these out when i next have some time.

<snip>
So, each island has its own province basically?
I'm liking the sound of this...sounds very
similar to the location in my story project
that takes place on an island. Here's a
conceptual map I made a while ago.

Nice to know regions are naturally divided,
so there isn't any dispute over borders, etc.

That is the essential part of my idea.  Each island, a new world!  New rules,
new ways of doing things.  One would be exploration, one would be combat, one
would have monsters and evil.

I like this map, except LOTS more islands!  I envision something like forty
islands (unnamed, so each GM could then name them), of all sizes.  And a grid
designating distances between the islands (ie. to move one grid square takes
one week, etc). Maybe a big 'main' island where everyone starts out.. but that
isn't necessary.

Of course developing rules would be difficult, but only as difficult as each GM
wants it to be.  Over-rules (extremely loose, applying to all islands) would be
necessary.

<snip>

If someone actually goes off posting
that this is irrelevant as well, I
won't be too surprised. I'm going to
continue discussing though, so let's
see some interesting ideas.

well how about this:
Given the concept of the Archipelago design, what Over-rules would be necessary?

But first off, is this going to be a
story oriented role playing experience
with emphasis on building and
taking expeditions, etc? Hopefully not
too combat oriented? Will it use the
report idea I presented earlier, but
modified?

Would you mind re-describing this report idea?

And I think that specific game design (rpg vs story oriented vs combat) would
fall under each island's administration (the GM).

Personally i like the report/story concept rather than RPG because I believe it
is more suitable to the online environment.

Essentially the way I see it: if something similiar to the Archipelago concept
is agreed upon, then what would need to be done is generate some brief
Over-rules, and then it would fall upon individual GMs to then develop further
rules for their islands (done at home), and then make a website or whatever
describing the island and it's rules/game.

It would be quicker than figuring an entire game concept all at once, but gives
more responcibility to individual participants (GMs).

_lenny