 Gaming / 1021
Re: Gaming at AFOL cons
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 07:58:39 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Frank Filz writes:
It is worth encouraging some less structured gaming. I think
all the Brick Wars games at BrickFest have been less involved
scenarios which could be quickly set up.

Pick-up games. Spur of the moment.

Yes.

I would have liked to have suck to less-structured pick-up games at
BricksWest, but since I was picking up players "cold" (ie who had little to
no familiarity with the game and who were not bringing armies of their own)
I figured a structured and refereed game would be the best option.

When there are a couple of more-experienced players available, pick-up games
do seem like the better choice.  With a certain critical mass of experienced
players it isn't too hard to accommodate newbies either, who can eaither
borrow spare troops from someone or slap together some kind of K-8 squadron.

In any case the BricksWest game went much better than I could have expected;
we managed to gather a good half-dozen players and blow a couple of giant
craters in my carefully prepared scenery.  I've got all the photos in
development and I'm hoping to get the write-up done over this coming weekend.

I think we should ask him to play and help us publish the rules to the
BrickWars game.

I don't think Steve would want to publish BrickWars. The Pirate Game is
property of Steve Jackson the person, not Steve Jackson Games. He
mentioned this was very deliberate.

From the gaming-roundtable discussion I gathered that his decision in
regards to the Pirate Game was intended to draw a distinction between the
Pirate Game, which is freely distributable and modifiable, and the products
of Steve Jackson Games, which are not.  That wouldn't really be an issue
with BrikWars, except that it would be sad to end its free distribution.

I talked a little bit with Steve about the commercial viablility of Lego
gaming while we were driving to the airport, and he seemed to be of the
opinion that they just wouldn't have enough of a market to make back the
production costs - maybe a couple of one- or two-page briefs in the back of
a gaming periodical every now and then would fly, but certainly not a
full-length gamebook like BrikWars.  Lego-specific wargaming is a niche
market of a niche market whichever way you look at it.

- Mike.