 Gaming / 1019
Re: Gaming at AFOL cons
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 06:48:14 GMT

"Christopher Weeks" <clweeks@eclipse.net> wrote in message
news:Gs3oH2.FyJ@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.fun.gaming, James Seibert writes:

I was specifically refering to a relationship in which a LEGO gaming • area
was
set aside for the whole con and games were kept running in all 14
timeslots.

I don't know if we could set aside a single room, but I know we could set • up
a semi-permanent display in the minis room similiar to MageKnight and
Columbia Games demo set-ups. If we could find a good number of volunteers • to
GM. The area could run concurrent games a BrikWars and continuous pirates
games. I will try to find more information about setting aside a room.

When you're talking about a room, you mean one of the small rooms at MWEC • on
the second floor where they traditionally have ~14 RPGs running?  Or a • small
ballroom at one of the hotels?  Or what?  A corner of the big room might • work
quite nicely.  The "minis room" is the left half of the board-game room, • right?
I think I'm revealing which half of the room on which I spend more time
:-)

You are good man. I would prefer one of the medium sized rooms similiar to
the RPG rooms

<snip>

I've been wondering why LEGO doesn't have better presense there.  Why not • open
a temporary LIC or outlet or something for the con.  Even without support,
they'd sell stuff.  But if they also had a fleet of us AFOL/gamers • "working"
for them, running games of all kinds, it would really promote their brand
generally, and specifically breed gamer-maniacs.

That is the core idea Lego needs to use to expand sales. This single idea of
corporate support will provide the foundation to expand our gaming avenues.
This is the same formula game companies use to demo games and promote
product awareness. What I don't think they realize is that all Lego needs to
do is provide product and advertising through their normal channels at
Lego.com and S@H. Normally demo game masters are volunteers that are given
free product for their help. The possibilities are tremendous.

I have personally played with the idea of selling minifigs, elements, and
terrain modules of LEGO at a con with displays and demos of how to make it
work.  They'd be in a much better position to pull it off.

I would hope so. I brought my figs and material for terrian to last years
GenCon. We played D&D d20 and had a blast.

Do you advertise in the book that you'll be using LEGO models, etc.?

No, but I put up signs.

Small group of two sessions.
Someone else had a Lego set-up last year, a small graveyard and chapel,
undead versus ninja. I did not get the persons name and the game was done • by
the time I finished my game.

I'll be keeping my eyes opened.  I'm pretty sure that I saw a LEGO pirate • game
at gen cone five years ago and that it was one of the contributors to my • dark
age ending. •  That was Stephen Gabriel and Lego Pirate Wars.
I never had a gaming dark age.  Actually, this will be a landmark
GenCon for me -- my 20th (having missed only '94 since '81 because my son • was
due (the little punk was two weeks late and I could have gone!)) and the • final
Wisconsin event.

I have been attending since 87. Missed a couple due to work.

Have you seen the large scale Silent Death game? The ship models are
approximately 6 to eight inchs long and about that wide. I believe we • could
do that in Lego.

Right!  That's exactly the kind of thing that would show people that LEGO • is a
real alternative to other modeling media.  You can't get the precision, • but
it's all reusable.  More people than active AFOLs would appreciate the • things
about The Brick that we take for granted.

By the way, I've added lugnet.lego.direct to this since I think it's • relevant,
but I've set FUT back to .fun.gaming so that our conversation doesn't • stray
over there for too long.  If anyone's responding to this with stuff that • should
go to them, set the headers appropriately.
We need to talk to Mike Rayhawk and Frank Filz, and the Castle World
representatives so that we can present a joint proposal to Brad Justus and
Jake at Lego Direct.
Chris