 Fun / 634
Re: What ever happened to the copycat brand TYCO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.fun
Date:
Sat, 3 Nov 2001 23:33:11 GMT

In lugnet.fun, Tony Kilaras writes:

From what I remember, Lego did sue them, and Lego LOST. I think Tyco stopped
making the clone on its own, due to poor sales. Of course, back then Lego
had a far superior product line than the gardbage it puts out now. Indeed,
if Tyco were around today, I think it would due quite well against both lego
and Megablocks. It was a very high-quality clone, the best I've seen. If
Megablocks were as high quality asTyco was, I'd be in heaven.

Incidentally, I'm always on the lookout for Tyco and Megablocks instruction
scans, so if you have any, let me know.

Tyco was eventually bought by Mattel. I don't know what happened to the
brick molds, or if Mattel has any plans of resurrecting the Tyco building
set lines.

Thanks for relpying Tony.  I agree that Tyco was a high-quality clone, and
think that you are correct that it would do quite well today.  I still find
Tyco amongst the Lego, but can only tell by the name on it because the
quality is so good.  If anyone else has any info let us know.