 Fun / 383
Re: Quaker Oatmeal promo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.fun
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 04:40:48 GMT

In lugnet.fun, Brian Bacher writes:
Yes, those do sound like pretty good suggestions. I'm not sure if regular
commercial applesauce would do a good enough job of rehydrating the dried • apple
bits in the oatmeal packets, but it'd be worth a shot. The only reason I added
that liquid was to moisten up the dried apples; otherwise it'd be like eating
small rocks.

It worked for me.  I think the apple pieces soak up less moisture than the
oatmeal or the flour.

In lugnet.fun, Steve Bliss writes:
Hmmm, yes; those sound like good suggestions.  Well, except for maybe using
applesauce in place of milk, but I think that's a question of taste--I'm
not much interested in boosting the apple flavor.

The apple sauce will affect the flavor, but its there mostly for the texture.
With the apple sauce, the cookies will be more moist and chewy than with water.
Cake and brownie mixes used to have alternate low fat recipes on the boxes
substituting apple sauce and a decreased amount of water for cooking oil.  I
haven't tried using milk or cream, but I assume that they would also help make
the cookies more moist.