 Fun / 382
Re: Quaker Oatmeal promo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.fun
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:21:54 GMT

Yes, those do sound like pretty good suggestions. I'm not sure if regular
commercial applesauce would do a good enough job of rehydrating the dried apple
bits in the oatmeal packets, but it'd be worth a shot. The only reason I added
that liquid was to moisten up the dried apples; otherwise it'd be like eating
small rocks.

Might have to try the maple/brown sugar variant; my son is now saying he wants
one of the promo sets, too. :-)

Brian

In lugnet.fun, Steve Bliss writes:
Hmmm, yes; those sound like good suggestions.  Well, except for maybe using
applesauce in place of milk, but I think that's a question of taste--I'm
not much interested in boosting the apple flavor.

Steve

In lugnet.fun, John Herre wrote:

Try using only 1 cup flour* instead of 1 1/2 cup (stir flour before measuring
to make sure that its not packed), 8 packs oatmeal instead of 6, 1/2 teaspoon
salt instead of 1 teaspoon, add 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce when you add
the eggs, and don't add the 1/4 cup of milk or water.  Make sure the butter • is
unsalted, or you'll get salty cookies.  You can also add an optional 1 cup
chopped walnuts or pecans after adding the oatmeal.  Let the
flour/oatmeal/apple bits absorb the liquids for about 10 minutes, then cook • as
drop cookies, using 1 level tablespoon dough per cookie.

I used a similar recipe for the maple brown sugar flavor, except I used 1 1/2
tablespoons maple syrup (natural, not the artificial stuff) instead of the • 1/4
cup apple sauce.

*I use unbleached pastry flour instead of all-purpose flour, so you might • want
to decrease the flour by an additional 1 or 2 tablespoons if you use a • national
brand all-purpose flour. You may need to use a little more flour with a
southeast US local brand and a little less flour with a northeast US local
brand.  Do not use self-rising flour.