 Fun / 379
Re: Quaker Oatmeal promo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.fun
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 21:30:38 GMT

Try using only 1 cup flour* instead of 1 1/2 cup (stir flour before measuring
to make sure that its not packed), 8 packs oatmeal instead of 6, 1/2 teaspoon
salt instead of 1 teaspoon, add 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce when you add
the eggs, and don't add the 1/4 cup of milk or water.  Make sure the butter is
unsalted, or you'll get salty cookies.  You can also add an optional 1 cup
chopped walnuts or pecans after adding the oatmeal.  Let the
flour/oatmeal/apple bits absorb the liquids for about 10 minutes, then cook as
drop cookies, using 1 level tablespoon dough per cookie.

I used a similar recipe for the maple brown sugar flavor, except I used 1 1/2
tablespoons maple syrup (natural, not the artificial stuff) instead of the 1/4
cup apple sauce.

*I use unbleached pastry flour instead of all-purpose flour, so you might want
to decrease the flour by an additional 1 or 2 tablespoons if you use a national
brand all-purpose flour. You may need to use a little more flour with a
southeast US local brand and a little less flour with a northeast US local
brand.  Do not use self-rising flour.

In lugnet.fun, Brian Bacher writes:
c=cup
t=teaspoon

mix:
1 1/2 c flour
1 t salt
1 t baking soda
1/4 t cinnamon (more if you like)
1/4 t nutmeg (more if you like)
set aside

beat:
1/2 c butter
1/2 c shortening (butter-flavor crisco, just like Loretta Linn :)
for 30 seconds
Add to this:
1/2 c lightly packed brown sugar
and beat until fluffy

Add:
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
and beat some more

Add dry ingredients and mix well

Add:
6 packets Apple-Cinnamon oatmeal
1/4 c milk (or water)

Let the dried apple bits soak up the milk... you may have to add a little more

mix thoroughly

Shape dough into two 8-10 inch rolls, wrap with wax paper or plastic wrap and
refrigerate overnight

Cut dough into 1/4 inch slices, and place on greased cookie sheet.

Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.