 FAQ / 907
Re: Color chart
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 22:25:04 GMT

Hey, you could always take the color in question down to your local hardware
or paint store and ask them to stick it into their computerized color
matcher, that would be about as accurate as you can get using today's
technology!!  I've seen them match up pretty much any color!  ;-)

And it's a pretty good bet that if you can replicate the color you want in
paint, that you could fairly much match it with ABS too!!

--
Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde

--
www.fastinternet.net.au/~ghyde
--

Scott A <s.arthur@hw.ac.uk> wrote in message news:FvDr9E.EMo@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.faq, Jeff Elliott writes:

Scott A wrote:

Anyway, it's fun to imagine what a LD color swatch guide could be • like. I'm
sure
their color division at LEGO has the absolutely precise matching • capability
do something simple on heavy cardstock. Could even have the metalics • and
transparents- kinda like the AVON nail polish catalog. (not that many • of
you
guys have seen those, but perhaps).

Most graphics types use pantone as a standard - see : www.pantone.com. • I'd
imagine a colour / color standard based on the wavelength would also be • simple?

Scott A

Not really; there's reflective components to colour as well, although
I'd imagine that Lego, being made of a single type of plastic for the
most part, is fairly consistent in this respect.

F'r'instance, paint is sold with a 'gloss' and 'sheen' rating, which (I
think) measures how much reflection you get at 60 degrees and 30 degrees
incident to the surface, respectively.

Sorry. I was really talking about TLC, and how they match coulour. I very • much
doubt they use swatches, as was suggested.

Scott A

And as Larry pointed out, you have to take into account the nature of
the pigment and the lighting you're using - very few people have a true
white light source, and anything else tends to enhance some parts of the
spectrum and damp others.

Basically, reflective colour is not nearly as simple as transmitted
colour.  And then there's prismatic effects - f'r'instance, a blue jay's
feathers are grey, not blue (when viewed with the light behind them).
They only look blue with the light in front...

Jeff Elliott