 Fabuland / 338
Re: too quiet.. so a survey...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.fabuland
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 01:47:19 GMT

In lugnet.fabuland, Sheree Rosenkrantz writes:
Hi any and all Fabuland fans and fans of Fabuland elements,

It has been all together too quiet here at lugnet.fabuland, so in the hopes
of getting some chatter going.
Here is an off the top of my head survey...
Answer all or just one ...

1) When did you "discover" Fabuland?
1999?
That was the year my daughters, J & D, started teaching me about the
internet/computer. One of the safe & fun places we always ended up was Lugnet.

Many years ago (at least 13), I bought a bag of Lego bricks for my older
daughter J at a yard sale. In it were 2 funny looking "animal people".   J
played with them and loved them. They have always been her favorites and
probably always will be. We had no idea what they were until fall 1999
exploring at Lugnet. (Cornelius Cat and Doc David Dog)

2) Are you interested in Fabuland as a theme or are you interested in
Fabuland elements mainly as they can be utilized in other themes? which
theme(s)? how?
Fabuland First!  Other themes are only playgrounds for my Fabuland figures.

3) Favorite  Fab-element(s)?
building element: tall squarish windscreen, door unit, spiral staircase
accessories: red telphone, free standing ladder, small red umbrella
vehicle elements:  mini car chasis,  2 wheel scooter, the blue airplane
why?
My favorites change, depending on my mood...and project.

4) Favorite Fab-Figure(s)?
why?
The ones with hats,  the Goats, and my sigfig.
dare i say because they are soooo cute...

5) Do you have a Signature Figure, a Fab-Figure that you personally identify
with?
Bonnie Bunny (aka sheree rabbit)
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/3000/3635/3635-03.html
why?
female figure, found in many sets (so I can have multiple copies), happy,
pleasing coloring

5) Favorite Set(s)?
why?
3680 Camping Caravan
It has my sigfig and 2 other characters with hats.  The yellow camper is
unique to this set.  I like the table in Blue.  Great car with 2 tall
squarish windscreens.
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?q=3680_1&v=z

6) What is the most unusual/interesting Fabuland item you have ever seen  or
heard about?
6"tall plastic Elton Elephant Fabuland coin bank.

7) Are you predominately interested in collecting or building?  or ?
collecting to build

8) Do you mix your Fabuland with other "stuff"?
always

9) If you could magically and instantly receive one Fabuland Figure or
element, what would it be?
figure:  Mouse with sailor hat from 3717
http://members.tripod.com/~Sybrand_Bonsma/fabuland/pages/setlist/texts/text3717.html
element: windmill blade from 3769
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?q=3679_1&v=z

10) If TLC reissued one more Fabuland element(not a figure!), what would you
desire it to be and in what color?
if they should ever ask me then i will bother to fret and come up with an
answer...

11)  Do you own any of the Mickey Mouse sets?
all
It took me a while to be able to sort the elements out and place the
reissued parts with my "real" Fabuland.  It was a surprise to me that I had
this hesitation to mix the new and old.  I had contrary feeling of the
Mickey stuff contaminating my Fabuland and wanting to keep the Mickey sets
separate and intact as collector items.  The day I was able to  sort and mix
was a day of liberation for me.

12) Would you ever put a Fab-Fig in a Jack Stone vehicle?  (uh... the small
headed ones do fit..)
During the Brickfest 2001 fieldtrip to the Potomac Mills outlet, I was able
to get  a 4604  Police Copter for #3.50 (scatch and dent discount).  Given
the size similarities of the Fabfig and the Jack Stone fig, I thought it
worth investigating if some of the JS elements might be useful to my
Fabuland style constructions.   [All of the Cats fit nicely.]   Also, since
the clear canopy/windscreen is 6wide, I thought there might be a possibility
of using it in a train construction.  [I haven't tried this yet.]

13)  How would you define Fabuland or Fabuland style? [a question put to me
by knowledgable others once upon a time...]
For me, it is a question of scale and mood.

Vehicles wide enough for a Fabfig to sit comfortably and look "right".
Doorways large enough for the Fabfig in the construction to go
through.  Furnishing wide and long enough to accomodate the Fabfig.
While I think of red, yellow and blue as the Fabuland colors, I
do not think their inclusion to be absolutely necessary for something to be
"Fabuland style."
example :  I consider
to be a Fabulandish scene.
why? It is sized for the Fabfigs it showcases.  Yes, it has some yellow and
some Fabuland derived elements,
but the only classic Fabuland elements are the car chasis, the windscreen,
and the yellow wheel base for the palm carousel. The dominate color is pink.
[I have problems when I try to build in anything other than Fabuland
scale.  I came to Lego only fairly recently.  Fabuland was the gateway.
I only had Fabuland figures for quite some time.  I only got other
figures in trying to get parts to mix in with my odds lots of Fabuland.
I prefer Fabuland and bendy arm figs to minifigs any day...]

I consider mood/attitude to be an important factor in defining MY
Fabuland style.  For me, it is a happy innocent sort of thing.
Characters can be tricksters or act like scamps, but no one would
ever knowingly hurt another in Fabuland.

I can see someone building something sinister utilizing Fabuland
figures and scaled for the Fabfig and ultimately I guess I would call it
"Fabuland style" too... but I wouldn't like having to do so  ;-)

Please feel free to share (or not...) any rollcall sort of biography
information such as -

Name:  sheree rosenkrantz
Gender:  female
Location:  USA
LEGO/home page URL(s):
On Lugnet Since:  reading mid 1999, posting Jan. 2000
On R.T.L (A.T.L) Since: reading mid 1999, minimal  posting in 2000
# of Sets in LEGO Collection: no idea
# of Unopened Sets in Collection:  a few small Fabfig sets, a few small Shell sets (kept in reserve for local trade), a few sets aside for my younger daughter for holiday gifts
# of LEGO Pieces:  no idea, just that it seems never to be enough when I am in the midst of building
# of Fabuland figures: just under 100 (never bothered to count until today...)
# of Fabuland sets:  I have only recently begun to be curious about this myself.  As I get time, I am sorting items not utilized in mocs into sets.
# of LEGOfests Attended: One - Brickfest 2001
# of LEGO Theme Parks Visited:  zero
First LEGO Set:  not sure.  I started by buying mixed lots on ebay.  Getting a "set" was not a big deal for me.  Getting a specific figure or part is.
Current LEGO Project: ???

Hey... I will answer these too, eventually, but only if I can determine that
I am not just talking to myself (...again) ;-)

nothing so horrible about talking to oneself, i guess... breaks the silence...
maybe i should just practice counting ... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 6, 7,...

regards,
sheree