 Fabuland / 328
Re: too quiet.. so a survey...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.fabuland
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 21:17:40 GMT

1) When did you "discover" Fabuland?

When my parents gave my sister and me some Fabuland sets, around
1980-1982.

Let's see.. I have 132 Cottage (1979), 3629 Barney Bear (19??), 3635
Bonnie Bunny's Camper (1981), and 3669 Fire & Police Station (1982)

2) Are you interested in Fabuland as a theme or are you interested in
Fabuland elements mainly as they can be utilized in other themes? which
theme(s)? how?

I think it was a great theme, perfect for a particular age group.  It
was the only LEGO product which my sister ever liked. (She liked to play
with the figures and recreate the stories from the instructions, whereas
I preferred to build the sets.)

3) Favorite  Fab-element(s)? why?

I don't have very many Fabuland elements, given the small assortment of
Fabuland sets in my collection.  But I do like the car plates with
attached wheels.  Especially the old Fabuland ones with hooks, although
the Mickey ones are usable too.

I like the motorcycle (as seen in set 3669), too.

4) Favorite Fab-Figure(s)? why?

I'm not very familiar with them, since I only have a half dozen or so,
but I liked the racoon from 3669.

5) Do you have a Signature Figure, a Fab-Figure that you personally identify
with? why?

I tend to identify with the mouse from 132.  My sister identifies with
the cat from that set.

5) Favorite Set(s)? why?

Of the sets I had as a child, I always liked 132 and 3669, because I
like building structures more than vehicles.

I particularly liked 3669 Fire & Police Station.  I remember enjoying
the story in the instructions, and I liked the motorcycle and the
antenna.

6) What is the most unusual/interesting Fabuland item you have ever seen  or
heard about?

I'm not very familiar with Fabuland stuff.

7) Are you predominately interested in collecting or building?  or ?

For Fabuland, I mostly am interested in collecting.  For LEGO in
general, I prefer building.  (mostly castles)

8) Do you mix your Fabuland with other "stuff"?

I haven't yet.  My Fabuland sets have yet to go through the sorting
process.  They're still in an old red LEGO plastic box.  (the 782/783
suitcase style)

9) If you could magically and instantly receive one Fabuland Figure or
element, what would it be?

The umbrella base from 132.  Mine was broken when I was around 5 (I
think it went through a vacuum cleaner) and at that time I didn't know
you could get replacements from LEGO.

10) If TLC reissued one more Fabuland element(not a figure!), what would you
desire it to be and in what color?

No idea.

11)  Do you own any of the Mickey Mouse sets?

My girlfriend has the fire engine and birthday party sets.

12) Would you ever put a Fab-Fig in a Jack Stone vehicle?  (uh... the small
headed ones do fit..)

That would involve having a Jack Stone vehicle.  Why would I want to?

13)  How would you define Fabuland or Fabuland style? [a question put to me
by knowledgable others once upon a time...]

Fabuland consists of story-based construction toys featuring
animal-based characters.  It features easy-to-build designs utilizing a
mix of basic LEGO building blocks and larger stylized building elements.

Name:                             Tim Buchheim
Gender:                           male
Location:                         Claremont, California
LEGO/home page URL(s):            http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~tim/LEGO/
                                      will soon be changing to
                                    http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~tcb/LEGO/
On Lugnet Since:                  August 1999
On R.T.L (A.T.L) Since:           n/a
# of Sets in LEGO Collection:     289
# of Unopened Sets in Collection: 0
# of LEGO Pieces:                 nearly 50,000
# of Fabuland figures:            7, I think
# of Fabuland sets:               4
# of LEGOfests Attended:          0
# of LEGO Theme Parks Visited:    1
First LEGO Set:                   Some DUPLO set. First non-DUPLO was 113 Universal Set
Current LEGO Project:             modular castle

--
Tim Buchheim