 Events / BrickFest / 898
Re: well wishes /coverage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 04:48:12 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Sheree Rosenkrantz writes:

[2] I remember Larry Pieniazek typing at a superhuman rate during this
session, I have always assumed this was what he was doing...

Yes...

IF this was a
correct assumption, encore in 2002, please ?

I would be glad to type faster than I usually do as long as people could
tolerate more than my usual number of misteaks. (1) :-), assuming that the
facilities exist (last year I was able to leverage a network connection that
was there already, I do not know if such will be the case this year but I
will ask. I assume it will be though)

Last year was quite ad hoc. It may be good if the questions are prepared in
advance this time, and more importantly, if everyone that wanted a chance to
ask remote questions knew of the time and of the venue to do so.

I do not want to be innundated with emails in advance (although the ones i
got as we were in the meeting were good). Perhaps someone else could create
and monitor a thread here in events.brickfest to prestage questions? I would
suggest posts which contained cogent questions that were not dups of posts
already made.

As to the transmission, last year I did it via post to the newsgroup. That
made for a lot of choppy posts. I am not a fan of chat, in general, but this
year I think it may make sense to consider using BrickLink chat. I assume
most people are BrickLink members (at least as buyers). Since I'm a
moderator at BrickLink I can capture the chatlog, scrub it and republish it
later somewhere.

But I'm open to suggestions on that. I need to ask Dan what he thinks. This
of course disenfranchises those people who are not BrickLink members. With
chat peek/lurk turned off, the strain of having many many members present
might be overwhelming. Please do not ask me to use AIM or IRC, I just will
not, it's not an option and I have my reasons.

I am also not sure of the protocol for asking questions and taking turns. I
asked more questions than anyone else in the room by a huge margin... IF you
counted all the questions as mine. Otherwise it was below average, actually!

One could argue that Brad should have called on me exclusively till the
questions I was relaying were exhausted... I did not ask every one I got,
due to time.

But the attendees have paid to be there, and that would seem to be unfair to
them.  They ought to get first crack or at least a majority of the time for
Q&A, ne?

So I would throw it open to, (and would look for guidance from) Christina
and other organizers as well as from LD themselves on how they want to do this.

That said I don't want this to become some huge production. Maybe all of the
above is overblown and we should just go with the flow. I dunno. Dear
reader, what do YOU think?

1 - i.e. none... :-) As all long time readers know, I don't make misteaks.
:-) At least not under normal circumstances. :-)