 Events / 683
682  |  684
Subject:
I want a convention, not a show. (was Re: What kinds of LEGO-based conventions...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, lugnet.events
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 21:45:54 GMT

In lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, Frank Filz writes:
William R Ward wrote:

Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> writes:
It definitely does to me. It was one of the issues I had with
BricksWest. The "official" display space was all public display. There
were a few tables (and a stage (1)) in the session rooms which got
appropriated for unguarded display for attendees. The setup of
BricksWest almost felt to me like a big train show for the public, with
some stuff for the AFOLs on the side. I'm concerned that with the push
for the whole thing to be in LLC next year that it will be even more of
an event for the public (2).

I just want to chime in and say I take a completely opposite view.
The best part of BricksWest for me was the public display.  I loved
having the kids and parents milling about and saying nice things about
my models.  And it gave us a chance to recruit for our LUG/LTC, since
there were a number of bay area folks who just happened to be at
legoland that weekend.

My favorite part of the LEGO hobby is when a kid sees one of my models
and his eyes light up and he says "Wooahh" and you can just see the
little gears turning in his mind as he figures out how to build
something similar.

I get a lot out of the public aspect also. But my point is that I get
that several times a year without paying $150/night for a hotel room.

Yup.  I keep waffling back and forth on whether or not I can go to NWBC, and
the 'public display' part is one of the things that makes me less inclined
to go.  I really enjoy interacting with the public; my feet are always sore
after a train show because I'm one of the guys who's always standing and
talking to people.  But I'd be sorely disappointed to book holiday time,
drive some 15 hours (or book a $$$ flight), to spend my time saying "Yes,
Lego makes trains."

What I enjoy is the time with other AFOLs.  Talking, comparing, oohing and
aaahing, trading, gaming - whatever the activity is is actually secondary to
the "with other AFOLs" part.  That's the part that pulls my butt out of this
chair - if I want to do something with the public, I've got 3/4 of a million
within an hour's easy driving.  But that same radius only gets me a dozen or
so AFOLs, only about half of which are serious enough to do things regularly.

IMHO, a convention should be about the hobby, and involve the fans of the
hobby.  If you want to involve the public, or promote the hobby, you put on
a show, not a convention.

YMMV

James