 Events / 592
Re: Frank's big BricksWest adventure
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 17:15:14 GMT

Tim Courtney wrote:

I'm not keen on Chicago because hotel space is pricey. I'd stump for CVG or
MSP or DTW (all midwest hubs) before ORD as space is less expensive in
Cincinnati, Minneapolis or Detroit than it is in Chicago.

I'm not absolutely certain, but I would figure hotel would get a bit cheaper if
people were willing to travel out into the suburbs a bit after getting into
town.

The trouble with getting too far from the airport is paying an arm and
three legs for transportation. My costs for BricksWest were:

$75 registration
$200 airfare
$70 ground transport
$300 hotel

I also lost about 4 hours to ground transport (using shuttles, Taxi
would have doubled the cost).

MichLUG is getting big enough and organized enough that MAYBE it could pull
something like this off in 2003. Not this year I don't think, though. NILUG
has a ways to go yet before it would be up to it I think.

You're right.  We've got at least a year to go before we could put on a Chicago
convention.  But, I'd rather see one in MSP because of the Mall of America, and
GMLTC.  Even though I'd have to travel to get to it, I think that's the best
midwest LEGO location.

I'd actually like to see a convention happen someplace which doesn't
have a LEGO outlet of any sort. My feeling is that that is an activity
which takes away from community gathering.

On the other hand, MSP probably is a pretty good location. Chicago is
also bad for being the most congested airport (I try and avoid Chicago
these days).

Frank