 Dear LEGO / 976
975  |  977
Subject:
Suggestions for Lego: My two cents
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 20:11:18 GMT

It's taken me a couple days to go through all of the posts following Mr
Justus' bomb-shell.  It's nice to see lego moving in a more customer-friendly
direction.  I'd like to add my suggestions/wants/needs :) to the mix, so here
goes:

I'd like to echo what others have asked for which is a return of some older
sets a la metro station.  May I suggest starting with the metroliner and club
car?  :)

I'd like to see the return of town.  But I think a good idea would be to expand
on the compartmentialization that has been going on lately.  For instance,
instead of one large fire department set, how about splitting the set into
several smaller (and cheaper) sets.  Three different fire truck sets, each a
different size truck, plus a headquarters building, plus the garage piece with
roll-up doors.  This way, the people who are not concerned with the price can
get what amounts to the $90 fire department set, but the more price contious
can still buy lego, perhaps a piece at a time.  I think this technique would
work very well with trains also.  These could be connected the way the stone
tower bridge or the large ninja castle were connected.

In general, I'd like to see trains expanded.  I'd also like to see some other
interesting track sets.  The cross tracks are great.  I'd also like a way to
make moveable tracks.  For instance, if you put two straight track segments
together, they form a good bond, both electrically and mechanically.  But I'd
like to see one with a week mechanical bond.  Straight tracks that make
electrical contact when they're together, but separate easily.  This would
allow for things like drawbridges, transfer tracks, ferrys, and round-houses.
I'd also like to see a section of track that starts an incline.  I realize this
one's difficult, but a cog train set would be great.  Also, a way to attach
mindstorms to mechanical points and the transformer would be good.

The return of monorail sets

I'd like to see a combination model team/town theme.  Sets that make very
detailed models of famous buildings and monuments or architectural styles.

I like the direction technic is going in.  I especially like the supercar
transmissions.  There's a piece in the transmission though (you know the one)
that is only available in the super cars.  It's the one that is moved by the
gear selecter to engage the gears.  I'd like another way to get those.

I'd like to see a servo motor for technic, or a linear actuator.  I can think
of a thousand uses for them and both would make automating train points much
easier.

Also, remote control technic.  I want to use the controller from the RC car to
control technic motors, servos, and actuators.

I'd like to see the concept of the idea book expanded.  Actually, more like an
instruction book catalog where you can buy extra high quality instructions from
lego.  This would increase the traffic to the bulk parts site and would also
allow for larger sets that would be impractical in stores.  For instance, a
5-foot tall statue of liberty.  Then you could click one button and place an
order for all the bulk bricks needed for the model.

A pink brick, plate, and tile service pack for my wife.  Paradisa pink, not
belville pink.

Todd Lehman's spider walker is incredible.  I think a larger insect/animal
theme would be good.

Please bring back the old palm trees.

Please cook up a way to add traffic and street lights to town.  The lamp post
pieces are perfect, if I could just get a light in there.  Here's an idea, what
if there were very thin mylar wires designed to be passed under bricks and
plates between the studs.  They would serve the purpose of the electrical
plates, but would be easily hidden, then contacts could be put in the base of
lamp posts to provide lighting.  Or what about watch batteries in the lamp post
bases.

More trees.  In fact, how about a tree set.

Pirate boat hulls just a little wider.  :)

I wish you could undo the millenium falcon and start over.  At least we got it
though.

Make some cars for town that incorporate the two-seat piece.  Hotrod Club is
one of my favorite sets.  A six stud wide hotrod would be nice.

A black low-slope roof brick service pack with the corner bricks including the
inside 3x3 low slope corner brick that seems to be missing, the concave one.
The convex one is in pizza to go, another one of my favorites.  Basically,
every piece available in the medium slope brick only in low slope form.  Also,
the steep slope bricks would be interesting in a roof brick service pack.

A service pack containing the 2x2x3 lattice bricks like in the windmill in
outback airstrip.

Technic sets that demonstrate solutions to classic mechanical problems, for
instance, geneva motion.  Then several of these sets could be combined to make
a specific type of machine.

Years ago, when I was in Japan, Bandai had a toy roller coaster set called
space warp.  It included a spiral lift, plastic track, and aluminum tubing as a
support for the track.  When I saw the flexible axle pieces, I was immediatly
reminded of this.  Numerous flexible axle piece could be combined to make track
for a pachinko ball to travel on.  This would be an excellent demonstration of
the laws of physics.

Ancient greek and roman themes.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but these are the things that come to mind.

brian