 Dear LEGO / 5422
5421  |  5423
Subject:
TLGs wasteful box sizes?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2006 14:10:05 GMT

A link from a Prius list I run had an interesting blurb:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13768213/site/newsweek/page/2/

"Even Wal-Mart wants to help shape a sustainable future, and few
companies are in a better position to do so.
"Right-sizing" the boxes on just one line of toys—redesigning them to be
just large enough for the contents—saves $3.5 million in trucking costs
each year, and (by its estimate) 5,000 trees."

I've gotten tired of filling my recycling containers with large lego
boxes, and it only seems to get worse each year.

I know that part of the reason is for marketing, companies need that
large presence on the shelf to grab the consumers eye, but the amount of
dead space in Lego boxes borders on ludicrous.

As an example, 5-10 years ago, if I bought multiples of a set and
compacted them to save storage space, I could fit 2-3 sets in one box.
Lately, I have gotten as many as 5-10 of the same set in one box.
Granted, that is sometimes achieved by stacking plates and bricks, but
there are times I am on vacation and don't have time to do so, and
simply opening the boxes and dumping them together results in 3-5 sets
fitting in one box.

Who can we convince in TLG that these ridiculous box sizes are a bad
idea?  Or will it take Walmart demanding smaller boxes to do it?

--
Tom Stangl
* http://www.vfaq.com/