 General / 52949
Re: TLGs wasteful box sizes?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 17:42:43 GMT

"Tom Stangl, VFAQman" <talonts@vfaq.com>:
I know that part of the reason is for marketing, companies need that
large presence on the shelf to grab the consumers eye, but the amount of
dead space in Lego boxes borders on ludicrous.

Another problem with these big boxes is that they're hard to get home
if you don't have a car. I've been looking for the 4896 (black
Saab-like car) set for a while, AFAIK Lego have had some supply
problems and most shops where sold out. But today I found it in a mall
and promptly bought it. The problems start when I'm to put it in the
underseat trunk on my scooter, the box simply wouldn't fit as it was
both too long and wide. As a result I had to tear it open right in the
parking lot (I hope I didn't loose anything!), transfer the content to
a McDonald's bag and then fold and crumble the empty box to fit it in
(I had the same problem with the viking fortress set - after finally
finding it I had to come back another day as I realized that there was
no way I could get that furniture-size box on the scooter). I'm not a
box collector so getting it crumbled isn't that big a deal, but I do
consider having to repack a product just to be able to get it home a
major inconvenience.

Axel Eng
Oslo - Norway