 Dear LEGO / 460
459  |  461
Subject:
Adults Are People Too!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 18:04:43 GMT

Dear Lego,

Several months ago, I was re-introduced to one of my favorite childhood toys,
Lego, spurred by the appearance of the Mindstorms product line.  Somehow, from
the moment I saw that box on the shelf, I knew that I would be buying a lot of
Lego over the next few months.

And I have.  By a conservative estimate, I have spent at least $2000.00 US on
various Lego kits since this past April.  I am not alone, either.  Through
LUGNET, I have come in contact with thousands of adults who play with Lego all
the time, most of whom have much larger Lego collections than I ever will.

The sad fact is that I would spend a lot more on Lego if there was a better
way to buy just the parts that I need.  I do not generally buy kits to build
the models, but to get parts for building robots.  So I look at the number and
types of parts in the box when deciding whether to purchase a set.  Some days
I'm looking for Technic connector pins and gears, other days I'm looking for
vast quantities of black 2x4 bricks.  I rarely find exactly what I want in one
of the available sets, so I usually leave the store disappointed and try to
make do with the meager $2000 pile of Lego that I already have.

I know that when I look through your mail order catalogs, I am tempted to
spend more actual money than on a typical trip to a toy store because I see
more of what I want, and I know I'm buying fewer elements that I'll throw in a
bin for my grandchildren to sell on e-bay someday.  Because my perception of
the "purity" of the box of parts that I'm buying is higher, I am willing to
buy larger overall quantities of your product.

I would be a very happy customer if you could set up an online store where
individual Lego elements could be purchased direct from your factories.  I
could log in and buy 1000 black 2x4 bricks and 500 green 2x2 tiles, and while
I'm there, browse a virtual inventory of every Lego element available in every
color.  You know that I'll probably find a new Technic gear that I could use
50 of while I'm there, and hey I need more grey plates, and I almost forgot
that I need 300 more green roof tiles!  Well, I guess I'll see you again
tomorrow...

This would offer TLG a direct conduit to some of your best customers.  You
could sell bricks right out of your warehouse, right into my playroom.  OK, so
you might sell a few less boxed sets through retailers.  Frankly, TLG seems to
want to sell those boxes only to children anyway, and not too many children
would have a credit card to buy direct from your web site.

Let me just close by saying that this is not my idea.  I am simply repeating a
wish that I have heard from dozens of other AFOLs here on LUGNET and at
meetings of local Lego users groups.  I think a lot of people worldwide would
regularly visit your online virtual store if you would just open the virtual
door for us.

Thanks for listening!

Sincerely,
Christopher Phillips