 Dear LEGO / 3264
Re: Packaging / Boxes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 10:32:13 GMT

My favorite old box is from http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6927 , the Classic
Space All Terrain Vehicle. It is still in faithful use today, holding crisp
instructions for my original space and town collections.

When I got back into Lego a few years ago, I was torn as to what to do with
the boxes. I always keep large boxes. I keep all train boxes. All duplicate
boxes get thrown away. Small boxs are collapsed and put into a larger box.
(hence, a box of boxes).

But I do agree on Tom's original post. The new quality boxes are not nearly
as neat or functional as the old ones. I really liked the flap tops where
you could see the main mini-figures and cool parts. The King's Castle
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6080 box is a fine example of that (and I still
got it). I also liked the slide tray style boxes. As I child, I would open
all the bags, dump the parts in the box and build from there.

I also really liked the one piece, flip open boxes for the 4.5v / 12v train
cars. Those were cool. The Mail Van http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7820 had
this. They were great for storage once the cars were built, but not in
service on the tracks. I've got a few of these and would never part wtih
them.

I'm curious as to the packaging for the new train cars. I'm sure it will be
the hard cardboard-style used for the soccer busses and other similar sets.
Yech.

Nostalgia is great. But in the end though, I'm for getting more parts in a
box and keeping costs down.

But that leads to the question - why was it affordable to have high quality,
distinctive packaging 10-20 years ago, but not now?

This probably now belongs in .storage or .marketplace.theory...

Bryan

"Tom Boucher" <trekkie@spamyou.nomorestars.com> wrote in message
Dear LEGO

The sad part is, I have some of my boxes for the classic space series, • such
as 497, 6970, and 6971.  You could load them up with pieces, shake the • crap
out of them, and not loose a single 1x1 flat piece or antenna.  If I did
that to the X-Wing box 1000 of the 1300 + pieces would fly across the room
where you were doing the shaking.