 Dear LEGO / 3259
Re: Packaging / Boxes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 21:01:58 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Tom Boucher writes:
Dear LEGO

Hello.  I'm a 29 year old LEGO fiend who has bought a house with a large
basement just to set up his collection that has spanned my entire life.

I am moving to this new home this weekend.  I have been packing for weeks,
and I am very frustrated while I"m packing right now.   I'm very very
frustrated at your boxes.  You used to have such wonderful boxes.  Then you
went to Good boxes, then to OK, and now, you're at the all time low of
'pieces of thin cardboard slaphazardly wrapped around plastic parts'.
Perfect examples of this are my Collectors Edition X-Wing, Collector's
Edition TIE Fighter, and the Millennium Falcon.  These are sets that I've
opened, assembled, and wish to re-pack for the move because even though it
sounds fun, driving down the street with the X-Wing on the back of my
convertible really 'flying' would loose quite a few parts.

Your boxes however, don't want to have the parts go back in them, or, if
they do, they sure don't want to KEEP said parts in them.  The lid does
nothing more than to show the LEGO pieces where to go to fall out of the box
and all over the inside of another box.  Of course that box isn't designed
to keep your smaller, crucial and integral parts from sliding out somewhere
between my old house and my new house.

Really, the boxes from 1998 on up don't.  I could really get a ranting on
the what I call 'mid to small' size boxes with the 'rip to open' parts.  I
have to saran wrap each and every one of those in fear of loosing parts
during my move.

The sad part is, I have some of my boxes for the classic space series, such
as 497, 6970, and 6971.  You could load them up with pieces, shake the crap
out of them, and not loose a single 1x1 flat piece or antenna.  If I did
that to the X-Wing box 1000 of the 1300 + pieces would fly across the room
where you were doing the shaking.

Please move back to the better designed boxes, and quickly.   Not everyone
wants to throw away their boxes when they get their sets, and has to store
some of them.  Buying storage bins isn't an easy option for me, because I
have over 50,000 pieces between about 500 sets (that I'm sure I have)

Thank You

Tom Boucher
Lawrence, KS

I agree with Tom. I also appreciate the artwork on the good quality boxes. The
box to me is a part of the product. I keep all of my boxes and  store them in
the hot hot attic while I store plastic in a climate controlled closet. I have
reboxed all of our lego for fun and then always end up taking the pieces out
again.
Once, my son ripped open a train set out of excitement at Christmas time
almost destroying the box. I later taped it up and said to him, "I think the
boxes are cool so I'd like to start collecting them" After that, he always was
more careful with the packaging for dad's sake. I know other members of my
local lego users group who discard their boxes almost immediately. Of course
their collections are in the 50,000+ and I have less than 15,000 pieces and a
large hot (this time of year) attic.
Bert Waters