 Dear LEGO / 3258
Re: Packaging / Boxes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 20:34:39 GMT

"William R Ward" <bill@wards.net> wrote in message
news:m2vgkzxm8x.fsf@komodo.bayview.com...

I'm sorry but I have to disagree.  LEGO should keep its costs down,
and its primary consumer audience in mind: kids.  Kids don't care
about keeping boxes, as a rule; they just want to play with the
bricks.  Collectors of whole sets are a very small portion of LEGO's
market, and to spend a couple extra dollars per set (and increase the
price accordingly, cutting into their ability to compete with clone
brands) just to satisfy them is not good business sense.  LEGO boxes
are meant to be ripped open and thrown into the recycling bin, not
kept for years.

I disagree.   I was a kid who bought LEGO as well.  I stored them in boxes
that they came in as long as I could, meaning, opening & closing them every
week while playing with the sets or what not.  twenty some years and ten
some moves took their toll on the boxes (as well as a little brother and a
BB Gun).   I wasn't in the 'collector' mode when I was a kid.  I was in a
'let's play with them all the time' mode, which I am to still some extent
to.  I mean I'm going to build an entire asteroid with monster monorail in
the basement, not just to watch, but to play with.

The boxes are something for them to go back in when I need to put my toys
away or my wife will get mad.