 Dear LEGO / 3257
Re: Packaging / Boxes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 20:07:58 GMT

"Tom Boucher" <trekkie@spamyou.nomorestars.com> writes:
Your boxes however, don't want to have the parts go back in them, or, if
they do, they sure don't want to KEEP said parts in them.  The lid does
nothing more than to show the LEGO pieces where to go to fall out of the box
and all over the inside of another box.  Of course that box isn't designed
to keep your smaller, crucial and integral parts from sliding out somewhere
between my old house and my new house.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree.  LEGO should keep its costs down,
and its primary consumer audience in mind: kids.  Kids don't care
about keeping boxes, as a rule; they just want to play with the
bricks.  Collectors of whole sets are a very small portion of LEGO's
market, and to spend a couple extra dollars per set (and increase the
price accordingly, cutting into their ability to compete with clone
brands) just to satisfy them is not good business sense.  LEGO boxes
are meant to be ripped open and thrown into the recycling bin, not
kept for years.

The only complaint I would have about the boxes, and it's a minor one,
is that you can no longer see the pieces inside.  Used to be, for
larger sets, you could lift up the front and see the elements inside
through a sheet of clear plastic.  This was useful to me, even as a
kid, when looking for a set that had good parts to offer.
Unfortunately LEGO seems to have discontinued this, and I wish they
hadn't.  Still, I'm glad to pay a little less and I can just look on
peeron.com if I want to know the inventory.

--Bill.

                    (formerly known as hermit@bayview.com)
                   Life is too important to take seriously.