 Dear LEGO / 3149
Re: Castle Armor Accessory Pack
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2001 18:37:20 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Jimmy Park writes:
Now don't get me started on the marketing genius that decided to price the
black samurai armor (one minifig) at $4 when the Town minifig pack (6
minifigs) goes for $6. . .

Another good point! But here is the one area where AFOL are VERY different
than the average consumer -- we will actually pay such a price! The average
consumer would buy only if the price was right.  I think TLC could make up
in quantity what they might miss on price per item by selling at a lower
price point.  And again, I want to de-stress the collectibility of TLC's
products and STRESS instead its two long-standing and most unique feature --
modularity, and increasing (hopefully) availability!

Can I build according to the limits of my imagination, or only to the extent
to where I couldn't find the gold mask or pay for enough sets to acquire it?

Kids who get burned on this "desiring consumer goes unfulfilled" cycle will
likely give up the toy in my view.  I got tired of the same thing in comic
books -- sometime you couldn't even get a book because speculators were
running up the price -- those books aren't worth diddly today (ask Mr. Blaze
if I didn't send him a copy of Ronin #1 the first printing at no cost -- its
just some dime a dozen book, folks! I see it in clearance bins all the time
-- once upon a time they wanted to pretend it was worth $25 a pop!).  Why is
TLC taking marketing strategy tips from an industry that is going further
downhill every few years.  What comic books sell today is nothing compared
to what they sold in what is called the "Golden Age" of comics. Why? Because
they thought collectability was more important than ACTUALLY having a good
product to begin with, and at an affordable price.

Would you use Bar-B-Que (chimichurri to my fellow latinos) sauce on your
salad?  My point being that every product has a niche -- Lego's niche has
nothing to do with high prices per element, these little elements are
supposed to be single components in a larger system of play! I can't see any
reason for TLC to squash a kid's castle dreams by making stuff prohibitively
expensive to buy.  It's just plastic!  They should be able to pump them out
like McDonald's does its Happy Meal toys -- and gee, wasn't Lego just such a
promo item recently?

-- Hop-Frog (dredge in flour, sear on both sides in a fry pan, serve with
liberal layer of chimichurri)