 Dear LEGO / 267
Re: Lego Truck in Wellington
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 13:33:51 GMT

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999 19:36:27 GMT, "Moz (Chris Moseley)" <moz1@ihug.co.nz>
wrote:

Steve & Larry wrote
And here I thought the 1x16 bricks were something of a juniorization --
they make it easier to build, are kind of bulky, and make it harder to
modify.  I tried to add a trailer hitch without replacing those 1x16
bricks, the best I came up with was a magnet tile.  Oh, well.  Master
Builder, I'm not.

I tried. Hard. The hitch rides too high if you don't. So my design uses
a long plate, some propup shorter plates with a gap under the hitch pin,
and a technic plate. I think there's a picture of the yellow version of
this truck after my mods, showing the hitch area, in the container
section of my website.

I had imagined just replacing the 2x2 grey tile with a 2x2 turntable.
Does that not work?

That's a straightforward solution (and it's suggested in the holiday S@H
catalog).  But it allows the trailer to separate from the tractor too
easily.

From my perspective the 16x1 bricks are simply hard to get, and at the scale
I build they're not excessively large. A 1x16x5 thinwall might be Technic
juniorisation, but not a brick  version of the standard 16 long Technic beam.
That's more where I was coming from.

Oooo.  That would be juniorization.  But it might be reasonably good
juniorization, for large building.  It would be much lighter than the
equivalent amount of bricks.

Steve