 Dear LEGO / 266
Re: Thanks Lego!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 08:04:05 GMT

Like Tom McDonald said,

Dear Lego,

You've been designing sets without those big hollow bases! Thanks you! Please
keep it up!

Those hollow base pieces are more difficult to store than most pieces.

The Ninja sets have all had their prisoner cells/traps (whatever) built into
their towers, which is a great idea, and well within the limits of
authenticity. I would like to continue to see better models built in this way.
Using a hollow base does not really improve playability and functionality
because other than using the piece as a hill, it can't do anything else.

In short it aint LEGO, multi usable pieces in a great stock and use your own
imagination to create your own surroundings.

I would rather have those grey hollow rock-type pieces used to make models
higher, or even the equivalent in bricks, because at least they are pieces
that can be rearranged for a really good castle or fortress base that has
accessible chambers

On another note, my wife, who does not build with Lego, while thumbing through
the most recent Shop-At-Home catalog, was commenting to me again the other day
on the color scheme in the "girls" sets. In a nut shell, here are the
highlights of her comments:
1) She said that she really didn't care for the overpowering amount of pink
and pastel colors, and wished they were balanced with the other colors of Lego
bricks. As an example, 5807 Royal Stable does not have to be entirely yellow
and pink.
2) She thought the bigger figures were not very attractive. She also said that
Lego should stop trying to be "Barbie", because they can't do it, and do what
they do the best: Lego.
3) She then made the comment that it seemed like men designed what they
thought little girls would like to play with. To expand, she thought that Lego
should make sets that reflected places and ideas that reflected their own
lives or what parents did, with more character interaction: drive cars with
cell-phones, go to store to buy clothes and food, amusement parks, aquariums,
restaurants, zoo, etc.; basically the other side of life *after* Johnny Thunder
marries Gail Storm and goes home. How about a baby minifigure so they can have a
baby? Girls love to play with babies, even toy ones.

Here's a idea: develop a minifigure that is an infant, and make it have
changeable facial expression, either using heat sensitive plastic for its head
or a heat sensitive sticker for its face: when hot it's crying, when regular
it's happy.

Of course, I'm not speaking for all girls, just one, but I'm sure she's in
good company.

Well, gotta go. Thanks for listening.

-Tom McD.

I think theres no need for all of this, when I look at my own kids, 2 girls and a
boy, and the girls 15 and 10 still play with DUPLO blocks, just to create their
houses. They only need the surroundings and make the rest on their own by creating
it in their heads, just a maximum of 3 layers thats all, the rest is IMAGINATION.
I can spend hours just looking at them.
So where are all the prefabricated pieces and models for ? Just selling and
nothing else.
Keep building and make your own world by using the LEGO bricks.
Like I did in the old times when LEGO even didnt have wheels to make an vehicle
and used some other wheels to make an carriage.
Almost the idea of DACTA where the also make combinations with different materials
witch are at hand in a normal school, paper, carton, wood sticks and plastics.
Nico