 Dear LEGO / 279
Re: Lego Truck in Wellington
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 09:21:30 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999 12:05:03 GMT, "N. Hoogerbrug" <ringebu@knoware.nl>
wrote:

Hi Larry,

"Moz (Chris Moseley)" wrote:

I had imagined just replacing the 2x2 grey tile with a 2x2 turntable.
Does that not work?

Well, it "works" after a fashion, but I feel that the trailer is now at
least 1 plate too high, and further, if you go over any kind of an
incline, the trailer separates. I like using a pin or short cross axle
into a technic plate instead because it pivots in the vertical plane
more easily.

It might be the same remark as Selcuk made but his set number does not tell
me enough and I dont keep a count or list of all the set numbers they ever
made. But in the Octan petrolcar was an small technic axle with and knob.
That was an reliable connection between the truck and the tank and it has
some space to move too.

The problem with that (and what got us started here) is that the base of
the 3442 Legoland California Truck (and its predecessor/twin, 2148
Imagination Celebration Truck) is a pair of 1x16 bricks, side-by-side,
making a 2x16 solid core.  The wheels go under this core, most everything
else sits on top of it.  The main problem with using the Octan-rig's
approach on the 3442 is that there's no place to put the pin in.  You have
to remove the 1x16 bricks, replacing them with other pieces.  This isn't a
hard change to make, but compared to the size of the model, it's major
surgery.

A secondary problem is that the 1x16 bricks are slightly too high in the
back, and any trailer hitch is going to add to the problem.  Again, this is
solved by replacing the 1x16 bricks with other pieces.

...or properly lengthening the truck, adding on at least 3-4 studs of
length to it.  For my SWAT truck, I added 2 2x4 Technic plates, with a 2x2
plate on top of them, then a 2x3 plate fastening the 2x2 plate to the end
of the 1x16 bricks.  One of the axle plates ties the Technic plates to the
1x16s on the bottom.

Doing it this way drops the hitch mechanism another plate height, making it
easier to get level.

I NEED to tak pics of the "final" SWAT truck again soon.

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/