 Dear LEGO / 264
Re: Why lego should not make so many new colors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 01:52:42 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Josh Spaulding writes:
In lugnet.dear-lego, Gary R. Istok writes:
I sort of disagree on the topic of too many LEGO colors.

Agreed with Gary.

<snip>
I think there is too much emphasis on colored clear pieces, though. I don't
know why I would want to make, say, a helicopter with a barely translucent,
bright orange cockpit. I like the clear cockpits, and the smoky-clear ones are
even better. The light and dark blue are okay, and I suppose green can work
too. I'm just trying to say that a bright spaceship cockpit with printing all
over it is not as versatile as the same piece in a more mundane color.

<snipped other thought-out comments>

IMO,
I do agree and I think there needs to be more thought put into which pieces to
make which color, including trans colors. I don't mind TONS of trans pieces IF
they are appropriate for a set. Admittedly, while the trans orange in Ice
Planet is cool, it's often not easily transportable to other themes. But I
think some specialty is still needed.

For instance, just to be bizarre, I wouldn't mind an official interstellar
spaceship set that was just about all trans pieces (red, blue, green, smoky,
mixed, whatever) just because such a thing can be weird within bounds. This
could be explained as a special transparent alloy or even a "cloaked" ship,
but it would have to be done right, cuz it could look stupid and/or be easily
overdone. A lot of people like the trans plates and wings in the classic space
sets.

BUT, I certainly wouldn't expect or want a Police Station to be nothing but
trans pieces, or trans orange pieces, for flashing lights and windows
everywhere (or Jailbreak Joe could spy on them from afar :)

Now, having said that, I do agree about the paint on canopies and windows:
they were made to seen through, so don't paint them! The ONLY exception is
where it denotes pane framing of some kind.

-Tom McD.