 Dear LEGO / 245
Re: Why lego should not makeso many new colors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 17:33:59 GMT

I sort of disagree on the topic of too many LEGO colors.

When I was a child (in the early 1960's), the LEGO colors available were
red, white, blue, yellow and black.  Now they have in addition to those
colors, grey (mid 60's), dark grey, tan, green, orange, magenta and pink
(with a few miscellaneous colors in a very limited selection).  While I
admit that there are really a lot of colors now, I look at it in a positive
light.  I use multiple colors mainly as accents in my historical buildings.
I look at green and orange as 2 additional colors for accents in some Art
Deco style buildings.  I look at magenta and pink as accents in some of my
"Miami Beach" style Moderne Deco buildings that I am planning in the
future.  There may be a lot of colors available, but it increases the
possibilities of building, which I like.  I look at all current and past
LEGO sets as nothing more than "parts packs" for my building designs.  I
don't ever expect to build an orange house or a green office building.  But
as accents, they can really liven up a design.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Gary Istok

Christopher Masi wrote:

IANsSnakes@aol.com wrote:

Well, this is just my opinion, but others have simillar ones.

If lego starts making all these new sets and buckets with lots of
gimmicks, they will have to lower quality/quantity of sets and the
designs in favor of quantity/gimmicks, as they will either have to do
one of two things:
1) quit making as many sets because of money
2) buy new molds in addition to the ones they already use (molds are
NOT cheap! Small ones run 4K-5K, lego sized ones will run about a

When I worked in the factory I thought I heard that the molds were more
like 10K. I do agree, I do not really like the pastel colors.

thrid of that!) which will result in less cash to design and make new
sets with

The same two things apply if lego makes all these new sets with little
thought put in to them. They are screwing themselves, and us if they
do this. Just look at all the new sets that are out, compare them to
the old sets. They just don't hold up. Town has gone to crap, just
look at, no imagination, all preformed sections. Same for space, and
castle.

I just hope lego does not go to the stockmarket.......

I have had legos since I can remember, and I have only been able to
see the quality go down, and the quantity and gimmicks go up.

Generally depressed about lego,
ian