 Dear LEGO / 248
Re: Why lego should not makeso many new colors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 20:16:22 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Gary R. Istok writes:
I sort of disagree on the topic of too many LEGO colors.

When I was a child (in the early 1960's), the LEGO colors available were
red, white, blue, yellow and black.  Now they have in addition to those
colors, grey (mid 60's), dark grey, tan, green, orange, magenta and pink
(with a few miscellaneous colors in a very limited selection).  While I
admit that there are really a lot of colors now, I look at it in a positive
light.  I use multiple colors mainly as accents in my historical buildings.
I look at green and orange as 2 additional colors for accents in some Art
Deco style buildings.  I look at magenta and pink as accents in some of my
"Miami Beach" style Moderne Deco buildings that I am planning in the
future.  There may be a lot of colors available, but it increases the
possibilities of building, which I like.  I look at all current and past
LEGO sets as nothing more than "parts packs" for my building designs.  I
don't ever expect to build an orange house or a green office building.  But
as accents, they can really liven up a design.

I agree. And primary colors can only go so far. Personally, I'm a big fan of
the more neutral colors: black, white, grey, dark grey, brown, and tan. I
wouldn't mind seeing maroon and navy as well, but I think the Lego color
selection is excellent as it is. Too few colors, and building possibilities are
more limited. Too many, and it's harder to make coherently - colored creations
without a huge lego collection. I think there's a good balance right now, but
I'd still love to see more dark grey.

I think there is too much emphasis on colored clear pieces, though. I don't
know why I would want to make, say, a helicopter with a barely translucent,
bright orange cockpit. I like the clear cockpits, and the smoky-clear ones are
even better. The light and dark blue are okay, and I suppose green can work
too. I'm just trying to say that a bright spaceship cockpit with printing all
over it is not as versatile as the same piece in a more mundane color.

On the other hand, when I was a kid, I really liked the colored clear pieces.
When I mostly had red, I wanted blue. When I had a bunch of blue, I wanted
green. Basically, I liked the rare stuff. But it all seems a bit too common for
that now.

I'm sure these issues are mainly a matter of personal preference. I know there
are people out there who would like more colored translucent pieces. I'm just
pointing out that some of us don't really care for them.

Josh Spaulding
http://members.tripod.com/~josh_spaulding/