 Dear LEGO / 237
Re: TRU returning open setsProduction runs (was:
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 19:25:54 GMT

Christopher Masi wrote:

Jasper Janssen wrote:

On Mon, 1 Mar 1999 18:04:59 GMT, "Eric Brok" <brok@fcjsvc.hvu.nl>
wrote:

What I've always wanted to know: are LEGO sets always produced in a single
production run or are there multiple runs as sales demand?

You know, I cannot really say. I was just a high school aged factory guy. Its
funny; I have no recollection of how large the runs were. I was usely

nice spelling, huh?

just
concerned with keeping things full, and then near the end of a run the concern
was...how many left and do we have enough stuff. Castle LEGO was  the hot new
theme when I worked there. For some reason the Black Falcons Fortress sticks
out in my mind; did we do two runs of the Black Falcons
Fortress.....hmm....maybe.  So, I am leaning towards more than one run.

I would imagine that, frex, Mindstorms had multiple production runs. I
can see them making all the RCX bricks for the entire run (80000 I
think?) at once, but it would be much cheaper to make 20000 RIS'es
(since they were expecting to sell 20.000 before Christmas, i imagine
20k units in their projections should have lasted at least till
summer, possibly even till next gift season), and put 60k RCX bricks
in a warehouse, then later making more RISes, rather than having 60k
RIS-sized boxes in a warehouse (I mean, that is _one_ large shed...).

What I'm getting at, is that the cost of making a few separate runs
rather than a single one, should be immensely cheaper  than storing
lotsa boxes in a warehouse for up to 2 years. Especially for larger
sets.

Yeah, when I worked there the finished product area was essentially a shipping
area. It wasn't that large; however, a few years ago LEGO built a HUGE new
warehouse (kitty-corner to the Sommers (I think its with an O), CT maximum and
medium security prisons.) When I say huge I mean it looks to be at least twice
as large as the old production/warehouse/distribution center. So, I imagine
the the production facility has a much large production capability than when I
was there.

How would you feel about driving into a warehouse with a monster rig,
and picking a few cases stuffed to the brim with RCX bricks?

How about boxes of minifigs? Several hundred leg sets, helmets, hair, bodies
per box. All of them smiling up at you as you pour them onto the kitchen
table.

Jasper *drool... twitch*  Janssen