 Dear LEGO / 228
Re: TRU returning open sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 23:53:39 GMT

Back when I worked for LEGO in Enfield not many bricks fell on the shop floor
and I swept up most of the bricks that were left on the floor and tossed them
in a dumpster.  LEGO brick versus forklift wheel...you can imagine which
object wins. Generally LEGO is not like food which means it doesn't have to be
thrown away if it hits the floor. Usually, bricks were picked up and the line
kept running.  The LEGO Factory is remarkably clean.  (By the way, you have
never heard a noise like the sound of a big box of Duplo 4x2's crashing to the
floor!)

Anyway bricks that could not be used by us went into  huge boxes (the boxes
the yaw plastic came in) called "Hospital Boxes". These boxes were filled will
any baggies that were broken, and sometimes with the last few baggies or the
last few bricks of the run if there were just a few left over (sending a box
back to the warehouse with 10 baggies or bricks in it didn't make much sense.)
You guessed it...Hospital Boxes were the boxes of LEGO donated to
Hospitals....I even played with some of them when I was in the hospital as a
kid.

Of course this has nothing to do with the orginal question, sorry just
following the thread.

Richard Dee wrote:

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999 17:17:12 GMT, Larry Pieniazek uttered the following
profundities...

Kevin Wilson wrote:

Depending on the manufacturer, (and retailer) some stores can get a
credit back for opened and non-full items. It depends, I know when I
worked at Best Buy they got a credit for some merchandise, but not all
of it.

Yep, our local Zellers will not go below 50% off on opened/damaged sets
because tey say they can get credit from Lego for them. Seems weird to
me that Lego will credit them for damaged goods.

If true, I wonder what TLG does with them? Can't resell them. Too
expensive to part out and reuse. I bet they dump them in the parts bins
that the Imagination Centers have...

But I don't think it's true, mostly. I think TRU ends up tossing these
if they can't find someone to buy them.

Kevin

I understand that the spillage that occurs on the shop floor,
(in the factories), are distributed to local orphanages. I
would imagine that the same would be done? After all, they
would receive tax credits for that, wouldn't they??
richard.dee@nospam.virgin.net               remove nospam dot
Web Site:   http://freespace.virgin.net/richard.dee/lego.html
ICQ 13177071                  AOL Instant Messenger: RJD88888
For the best Lego news, visit:    http://www.lugnet.com/news/
Need instructions for a model?       http://www.kl.net/scans/