 Dear LEGO / 218
  TRU returning open sets

Can TRU return opened sets to TLG? I tried to haggle for an opened (and obviously used) Lego remote control car at my local TRU. The manager said he could get more than the $20 I offered for the open set knowing that some pieces might be missing. On (...) (26 years ago, 25-Feb-99, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: TRU returning open sets

Depending on the manufacturer, (and retailer) some stores can get a credit back for opened and non-full items. It depends, I know when I worked at Best Buy they got a credit for some merchandise, but not all of it. Scott Sanburn (...) (26 years ago, 25-Feb-99, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: TRU returning open sets

(...) Yep, our local Zellers will not go below 50% off on opened/damaged sets because tey say they can get credit from Lego for them. Seems weird to me that Lego will credit them for damaged goods. Kevin (26 years ago, 25-Feb-99, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: TRU returning open sets

(...) If true, I wonder what TLG does with them? Can't resell them. Too expensive to part out and reuse. I bet they dump them in the parts bins that the Imagination Centers have... But I don't think it's true, mostly. I think TRU ends up tossing (...) (26 years ago, 25-Feb-99, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: TRU returning open sets

Hi Larry, (...) You won this bet. Thats just what happens in Holland, returned sets are opened and tost into the, what we call rental LEGO boxes. When you do have or plan an happening as a shop or mall owner, youre able to hire lots of LEGO bricks. (...) (26 years ago, 25-Feb-99, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  (canceled)

  Re: TRU returning open sets

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999 17:17:12 GMT, Larry Pieniazek uttered the following profundities... (...) I understand that the spillage that occurs on the shop floor, (in the factories), are distributed to local orphanages. I would imagine that the same would (...) (26 years ago, 26-Feb-99, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: TRU returning open sets

I'd bet that stores toss opened/returned boxes and only send in the UPC or similar part of the box. Bookstores return the covers of books to the publishers for refunds and toss the rest of the books (I know, I've got lots of coverless paperbacks at (...) (26 years ago, 26-Feb-99, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: TRU returning open sets

(...) "If you bought this book without a cover, please be aware that sale of this book may have been unauthorized. Neither the publisher nor the writer have gotten any money from it" I mean, really. Pirating Microshaft software is one thing, but (...) (26 years ago, 27-Feb-99, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: TRU returning open sets

Back when I worked for LEGO in Enfield not many bricks fell on the shop floor and I swept up most of the bricks that were left on the floor and tossed them in a dumpster. LEGO brick versus forklift wheel...you can imagine which object wins. (...) (26 years ago, 28-Feb-99, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: TRU returning open setsProduction runs (was:

Christopher, What I've always wanted to know: are LEGO sets always produced in a single production run or are there multiple runs as sales demand? Eric (26 years ago, 1-Mar-99, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: TRU returning open setsProduction runs (was:

(...) I would imagine that, frex, Mindstorms had multiple production runs. I can see them making all the RCX bricks for the entire run (80000 I think?) at once, but it would be much cheaper to make 20000 RIS'es (since they were expecting to sell (...) (26 years ago, 1-Mar-99, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: TRU returning open sets

Jasper Janssen wrote (...) I liked "If you like this book please feel free to shoplift it - the author gets paid anyway". Moz (26 years ago, 2-Mar-99, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: TRU returning open setsProduction runs (was:

(...) You know, I cannot really say. I was just a high school aged factory guy. Its funny; I have no recollection of how large the runs were. I was usely just concerned with keeping things full, and then near the end of a run the concern was...how (...) (26 years ago, 11-Mar-99, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: TRU returning open setsProduction runs (was:

(...) nice spelling, huh? (...) (26 years ago, 13-Mar-99, to lugnet.dear-lego)