 Dear LEGO / 1696
Re: fan support
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 22:21:44 GMT

Dear LEGO,

I think every AFOL does have influence on the company, although not
necessarily as much as Stephen did with these sheets.
Well, whenever I am checking a toy store for new LEGO sets (at least once a
week) then there is someone else who is also looking for any toys to buy.
Sometimes it's only a child, but usually it's a parent or a family. They do
not really know what to buy or which product is best. I usually can help
them a lot and whenever I can I do so. There are smaller things or long
dialogues with parents who only have a wishlist with many set numbers on
there. I was able to find all the sets on the list immediately while they
would have needed a lot longer. Most of the stuff was Technic, so I was able
to tell them which sets would be best for their son (according to what they
told me) and what he might like best. They finally bought a large set that
has been on the list (#8462) as it was on sale and I said it was a good one
(I like pneumatic and it was cheap). I explained them how to find the right
age and showed them some other good sets in the catalogue. They asked me if
I'd be an employee but I told them that I am looking for some sets for
myself. So I also showed them the Mindstorms stuff and explained it. They
nearly bought the RIS, but I told them to ask the son first. The set is
worth its high price, but the user should be a little interested in it. I
don't know if they ever bought the set later, but I definitely had influence
on their attitude towards LEGO and this was just an example.
I *allways* know more about the products than the employees do and it's not
unusual for me to help the customers when I can. So I'm pretty sure many
AFOLs already made experiences like this and they advertise LEGO a lot
better than any commercials on TV. Not even the employees can sell things as
good as we could, they simply don't know the difference between a City set
or a Train set, but there *is* a difference. Why should a Kid that wants an
X-Wing be dissapointed to get a Rock Raiders set? If I'd give them a small
paper with LEGO phone numbers, I'm sure they would call next time they buy a
LEGO set and they would see LEGO products in a different way than any
"Action Man" thing or a usual xy-toy. We can support LEGO a lot, at least I
do - no matter with or without any sheets, but it would be great to do this
in an organized way. I certainly would love to promote LEGO and I would do
this for free also.

TLC, please note that you already do promote your products with Truck Shows
and other things and this is also a great way. However the clubs might be
able to reach a lot more, I'm sure we can even "sell" any of the new Adult
sets Brad mentioned to non-LEGO-fans and they might start building (again).
You could never reach such a large mass of people that easily. By supporting
us you'll also support yourself this way. The critical points will of course
be give-aways like keychains as we might keep them for ourselves, I already
have plenty of pencils or postcards that never reached their attended
clients, but I don't think this is a problem as I also keep buying your
products.
However, supporting us can't be a bad thing and you wouldn't regret it...

Bye, Christian --- xTI@N
The World is full of AFOLs - gech1@t-online.de

Stephen F Roberts <wubwub@wildlink.com> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
tbC6OBoSWoTN52mi5ThIzUf3d07d@4ax.com...
...Luckily, Brad posted again so we all have the sneaking suspicion
that LEGO is starting to listen to us, but just in case the 'Guys in
Power (tm)' needed more evidence that AFOL's and local clubs are a
vital part of the whole plan, all they need to do is check the S@H
logs for today (2/28) and 2 weeks ago (2/14).

...Our local club (1), managed to 'liberate' a box of S@H cards from
The Store in Potomac Mills (2). At our last two shows, we handed them
out to anyone wandering by.

...Out of about 1500 or so starting, we have only about 50 left. Even
if 60% of those cards get thrown away, that's still a few hundred
people who are going to be calling and asking for catalogs. That is a
few hundred new potential customers. (we started telling them to tell
S@H that wamalug sent them... check to see how many times your
operators heard that too).

...And to the one's that don't call, there were still hundreds of
people who were newly inspired to want LEGO... I'm sure we could have
sold at least 20+ Railway Expresses this past weekend alone to the
families who never knew LEGO did trains and wanted to get a 'starter
set'.

...On the whole, LEGO basically got big-time free advertising from a
group of enthusiastic fans who the people could actually stop and talk
to as opposed to an inanimate box or a non-interactive TV commercial.
And we did talk to lots and lots of people. Families with kids, other
AFOLs, other train-heads who never knew LEGO made trains, all kinds of
people that got a chance to really see the kind of things LEGO can do.

...At _minimum_ I'd think sending all clubs a box of S@H cards would
be a great way of at least starting to support us (3).

1) WAMALUG (wamalug.org (4))
2) We didn't think the store would mind, and we did help give out the
cards, so it really was a good thing!
3) So we don't have to risk getting Buffie mad by taking things from
her store.
4) tho our server is currently dead :-/

...you can go back to ignoring me now...

wubwub
stephen f roberts
wildlink.com
lugnet #160