 Dear LEGO / 1242
Re: Element Count Trivia
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 14:41:00 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Larry Pieniazek writes:
People! No doubt many of the people that write this copy are E2Lers and
didn't spot that mistake.

Me, I'd rather they rushed it out and got it out sooner. It can be fixed
later. (although it does detract from the image to make obvious
mistakes. Not that I ever make any myself.)

No way, Larry. I worked in magazine publishing for years (I can tell you about
pressure to get things out fast) but a mistake on the first page like "23nd" is
simply inexcusable. The document is part of their PR kit. Facts & Figures is
probably the most popular component. It's kinda like their FAQ for employees who
have to pick up the phone and answer questions. Also, for instance, for the
press to insert facts in an article about LEGO.

Anyway, this mistake indicates to me that they are not using electronic
publishing or are and don't know how to use it. And if they have proofreaders
(which all publishers do), they must be incompetent. Their proofreader, btw
should be an EL1er or equal to one. There's got to be SOME grammarians there.
Still there are enough aids one can use for checking.

There is no "fixing it later" in this case. It was probably a single press run.
In a typical publishing scenario, the group involved would have had at least 3
chances to catch it. The last possible resort is on the film used to make
printing plates. EVEN THEN it could have been corrected easily by a ruby cover
over the lower right leg of the "n", making it into an "r". I've seen them
change a date on a WW box that way.

But I can't imagine how asleep at the wheel they'd have to be for this mistake
to get through. Just to describe a bit more, this first page has almost no text
on it and the "23nd edition" is centered and bolded. It's meant to be seen. It's
not buried in fine print. It was printed in 1999. Someone just changed the 2 to
a 3 and kept going.

-Suz.