 Database / Set Inventories / 830
Re: Naming of pieces
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.inv, lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 18:36:05 GMT

[ Note: I'm crossposting this to lugnet.cad, but with a FUT to
  lugnet.db.inv so that it doesn't fill up both groups if the thread
  grows.  CAD folks who have an interest in this thread, please come
  over to db.inv and give your two cents. ]

"Erik Olson" <olsone@spamcop.net> writes:
In lugnet.db.inv, William R. Ward writes:
* The 2625 "Boat Bow Plate 6x7" can be used just as easily on a spaceship or
airplane.  How about "Plate 6x7 without Corners"?  Or "Wing 6x7"?

This is sometimes known as a Tapered Plate because it is multiply sloped.
"Without Corners" suggests the kind that have them cut off at a 45% angle
(which is also known as half-octagonal, etc.) I myself consider this a tapered
bow deck plate. I hate categorizing airplane and boat bricks and other
multiply-sloped parts, but it's gotta be done.

Tapered is good.  Another option is to describe the angle(s) of the
sloped sides, like is done for sloped bricks.

* The 4070 "Brick 1x1 with Headlight" can be used for a lot of things
besides headlights - how about "Brick 1x1 with Stud on Side"?

This one is just tradition; it's been a headlight brick since 1977. I prefer
headlight brick.

I guess.

* The 2877 "Brick 1x2 with Grille" - how about "Brick 1x2 with
Corrugated Sides"?

I think the majority has moved on to corrugated. There are many other, painted
grill bricks.

Definitely.

* The 2880 "Hinge Train Cantenary[sic] Holder" is not only misspelled
(should be "Catenary"), but overly specific.  I don't have a
suggestion for renaming this one, though...

Some naming systems focus on the number and position of hinge fingers: two
inner hinge fingers, three outer hinge fingers. It's a tough area.

I think the other end of this piece is the same as the minifig "slide
down a piece of string" pieces, yes?  Maybe that little "spool" can
have a name, and then this can be "3 finger hinge connector with
spool" or something.

* The 4740, 3960, etc. "Space Radar Dishes" - how about something
generic like "Parabolic Dishes"?

Parabolic Dishes is better than Umbrellas.

Of course, I doubt they're *really* parabolic, but they're supposed to
be...  2x2 Parabolic Dish With One Stud, 4x4 Parabolic Dish With One
Stud, 6x6 Parabolic Dish With Two Studs (should it mentione somehow
that the dish is a grid-like affair?  I can't think how to describe
that), and 8x8 Parabolic Dish With Two Studs.

* The 32124 "Technic Rotor 2 Blade with 4 Studs" - Not necessarily a
rotor.  How about "Technic Plate 1x5 with Axle Hole and Rounded Ends"?

I like your thinking there.

Of course, there are other "rotors" that really can't be much else,
like the one with 3 blades...

* The 32293 "Technic Steering Link 9L" isn't necessarily for
steering.  "Technic Link 9L" is the best I can come up with.

Like the headlight brick, tradition... Here, a "Link" is so vague and suggests
nothing so Steering Link is not out of place as a hint.

I suppose so.

* The 2741 "Technic Supercar Steering Wheel" isn't just on the Super
Car.  How about "Technic Steering Wheel with T-Shaped Center"?
* The 4349 "Town Loudhailer" is also a space gun, or measuring
instrument, or rocket engine, etc. - how about "Minifg Accessory
with 1x1 Cone" or "Brick 1x1x2 Round with Handle"?

The problem is nobody thinks of that piece in generic brick terms! It's not
even a brick but a cone ! Dimensions are fine.

Well it's actually a 1x1 cone, connected to a corrugated 1x1 brick,
with a handle.

Generic terms are fine when they replace theme-specific wording. "Classic Space
Prongs" is a name begging for a non-themed name, but "1x2 plate with dual
prongs" is the best I have come up with. However, with the loudhailer, no
matter where it appears it still greatly resembles a loudhailer shape!

The term "loudhailer" is not in my lexicon.  I'd call it a Megaphone,
but that's a trademark I think.  Like "kleenex", a trademark that has
become a generic word for the type of product.

So, those are some of my thoughts on part naming.

Anyone who tries to bring order to the chaos of current usage is a hero. (Also
a person with lots of time to spend.) However, you still have to respect what's
already accepted to avoid confusion. That's why I decided a multi-name
dictionary was the way to go, and I spent weeks building software and typing
names, and ended up with less than satisfactory results.

I like that idea.  Also, I notice that the naming used on BrickBay
isn't quite the same as on Peeron.  I'm not sure which naming scheme
the CAD programs use - I hardly ever use them.  One thing I've noticed
on BrickBay is that the distinction between "window" and "windscreen"
seems rather arbitrary in a few cases.  Also, some windows are
classified as "panels" because they are also available in
non-transparent versions.  Another situation where multiple names are
useful.

--Bill.

                    (formerly known as hermit@bayview.com)
                   Life is too important to take seriously.