 Database / Set Inventories / 818
817  |  819
Subject:
Naming of pieces
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.inv
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 22:30:39 GMT

I'm not sure if this is the right place to bring this up, but...

I've noticed that a lot of pieces have been given names which do not
allow for the full range of use of the elements.  Looking at the
inventory of the Sopwith Camel, I found several good exmaples of this:

* The 2625 "Boat Bow Plate 6x7" can be used just as easily on a spaceship or
  airplane.  How about "Plate 6x7 without Corners"?  Or "Wing 6x7"?
* The 4070 "Brick 1x1 with Headlight" can be used for a lot of things
  besides headlights - how about "Brick 1x1 with Stud on Side"?
* The 2877 "Brick 1x2 with Grille" - how about "Brick 1x2 with
  Corrugated Sides"?
* The 2880 "Hinge Train Cantenary[sic] Holder" is not only misspelled
  (should be "Catenary"), but overly specific.  I don't have a
  suggestion for renaming this one, though...
* The 4740, 3960, etc. "Space Radar Dishes" - how about something
  generic like "Parabolic Dishes"?
* The 32124 "Technic Rotor 2 Blade with 4 Studs" - Not necessarily a
  rotor.  How about "Technic Plate 1x5 with Axle Hole and Rounded Ends"?
* The 32293 "Technic Steering Link 9L" isn't necessarily for
  steering.  "Technic Link 9L" is the best I can come up with.
* The 2741 "Technic Supercar Steering Wheel" isn't just on the Super
  Car.  How about "Technic Steering Wheel with T-Shaped Center"?
* The 4349 "Town Loudhailer" is also a space gun, or measuring
  instrument, or rocket engine, etc. - how about "Minifg Accessory
  with 1x1 Cone" or "Brick 1x1x2 Round with Handle"?

Are the pieces named by the Peeron folks, or by TLC, or by individuals
submitting inventories, or what?  Is there any review process for the
names?

I want to add though, that I do appreciate all the hard work people
have gone through to provide this information.  I would contribute
myself, but I rarely buy new, uninventoried sets.  It's a very useful
service and I don't want to belittle the work that went into it.  I
just think it would be good to try to use more generic names.

--Bill.

                    (formerly known as hermit@bayview.com)
                   Life is too important to take seriously.