 Database / Set Inventories / 833
Re: Naming of pieces
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.inv
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 22:46:30 GMT

Steve Bliss <steve.bliss@home.com> writes:
In lugnet.db.inv, Erik Olson wrote:
In lugnet.db.inv, William R. Ward writes:

* The 2625 "Boat Bow Plate 6x7" can be used just as easily on a spaceship or
airplane.  How about "Plate 6x7 without Corners"?  Or "Wing 6x7"?

This is sometimes known as a Tapered Plate because it is multiply sloped.
"Without Corners" suggests the kind that have them cut off at a 45% angle
(which is also known as half-octagonal, etc.) I myself consider this a tapered
bow deck plate. I hate categorizing airplane and boat bricks and other
multiply-sloped parts, but it's gotta be done.

I'd put this particular piece in as a wing, and the matching brick as a
wedge, but the plate-with-panel doesn't really fit in with the panel
elements.  So is it better to leave these parts all together where they
are, or move some of them to more appropriate places, and leave the rest
behind?

What's the difference between a wedge and a slope?  If you're talking
about the brick I think you are, I sort it with slopes.

* The 4070 "Brick 1x1 with Headlight" can be used for a lot of things
besides headlights - how about "Brick 1x1 with Stud on Side"?

This one is just tradition; it's been a headlight brick since 1977. I prefer
headlight brick.

Yes and no.  I can go either.

Another thing about that piece - the stud on the side is not really on
the side - it's inset a bit.  So it doesn't really fit with the "Brick
1x4 With Studs On Side" unless there is further explanation, and that
gets too wordy.  I suppose "Brick 1x1 With Headlight" will have to do.

* The 2877 "Brick 1x2 with Grille" - how about "Brick 1x2 with
Corrugated Sides"?

I think the majority has moved on to corrugated. There are many other, painted
grill bricks.

Probably.  Until you run into people who say "what does 'corrugated'
mean?".

That's what dictionaries are for.

* The 2880 "Hinge Train Cantenary[sic] Holder" is not only misspelled
(should be "Catenary"), but overly specific.  I don't have a
suggestion for renaming this one, though...

Some naming systems focus on the number and position of hinge fingers: two
inner hinge fingers, three outer hinge fingers. It's a tough area.

There was a longish discussion or two about this one.  At least, it
should be Hinge Train Pantograph Arm (or ...Holder).  But Hinge Bar 3L
is probably better.

With 3 Fingers, right?  One trouble with train terminology is that it
isn't necessarily standard around the world.  Also, you have to be a
pretty hardcore train nut to know what a pantograph is.

* The 4740, 3960, etc. "Space Radar Dishes" - how about something
generic like "Parabolic Dishes"?

Parabolic Dishes is better than Umbrellas.

I like Radar Dish, for reasons stated above.  Besides, I'm not convinced
the shape of these dishes is parabolic.

Probably not, but real radar dishes are.  The reason I dislike "radar
dish" is because there are a lot of radar dishes that are not round,
and a lot of satellite tracking, microwave transmission, and radio
telescope dishes that are not radar.  But all are parabolic.  The LEGO
element may not be a perfect parabola, but it's intended to *model* a
parabolic dish.

* The 32124 "Technic Rotor 2 Blade with 4 Studs" - Not necessarily a
rotor.  How about "Technic Plate 1x5 with Axle Hole and Rounded Ends"?

I like your thinking there.

Yeah.  But I'm not sure how it works with the similar 3-blade pieces.

Those are still rotors.  4-bladers too.  But this one is good for too
much else.  A good candidate for multiple-naming.

I'd love it if these elements that can serve multiple purposes can
appear in more than one category under LDraw, for example.

* The 32293 "Technic Steering Link 9L" isn't necessarily for
steering.  "Technic Link 9L" is the best I can come up with.

Like the headlight brick, tradition... Here, a "Link" is so vague and suggests
nothing so Steering Link is not out of place as a hint.

Also, the rings on this piece are made to fit with towball parts.  The
existing Technic Link 16L has peg-holes on the end.

I don't have any of these, so I can't speak to it.  I thought the ends
were Technic peg holes.

* The 2741 "Technic Supercar Steering Wheel" isn't just on the Super
Car.  How about "Technic Steering Wheel with T-Shaped Center"?

This isn't an LDraw part, so I can't really comment on the name.

Well, it should be added to LDraw then, right?  So you'll need a name.

* The 4349 "Town Loudhailer" is also a space gun, or measuring
instrument, or rocket engine, etc. - how about "Minifg Accessory
with 1x1 Cone" or "Brick 1x1x2 Round with Handle"?

The problem is nobody thinks of that piece in generic brick terms! It's not
even a brick but a cone ! Dimensions are fine.

"Minifig Loudhailer" is probably how this piece will be renamed.  Unless
some Aussie steps forward to let us know that 'loudhailer' is *not* the
antipodean term for megaphone.

That's better than Town Loudhailer, anyway.

Anyone who tries to bring order to the chaos of current usage is a hero. (Also
a person with lots of time to spend.) However, you still have to respect what's
already accepted to avoid confusion. That's why I decided a multi-name
dictionary was the way to go, and I spent weeks building software and typing
names, and ended up with less than satisfactory results.

I agree on the multi-name dictionary aspect.  One name will never be
good enough.  And pictures will always trump names, when it comes to
part identification.

Unfortunately it is hard to alphabetize pictures ;-)

BTW, there'll probably be some (offline) discussion about part naming at
BrickFest...

I really wish I could go to that.... *sigh*

--Bill.

                    (formerly known as hermit@bayview.com)
                   Life is too important to take seriously.