 Database / Set Inventories / 826
Re: Naming of pieces
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.inv, lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 15:34:16 GMT

In lugnet.db.inv, Andy Lynch writes:
Jonathan and all,
I just would like to chime in here and say that I don't think that
"small", "medium", "large", "ex-large", etc. are very good descriptions
for naming parts.  I came across my first plastic space wheels in an
Insectoids set several months back, and I had no way to determine which
of those descriptions to apply to them!  Well, sure, it LOOKS large to
me, but this is the only one I have, soooo how can I tell which one it
is?   I don't think that I should have to open up one of the LCAD
drawing packages to start measuring them against bricks with studs.

Saying that, I understand that naming these things isn't the easiest
thing in the world to do.

Roger that.

I've copied lugnet.cad because peeron uses the LDraw nomenclature and that
is where you would need to campaign for name changes.

I agree, in general that small and large (1) are not good names, I would
prefer dimensions given in studs or something. That has problems too but is
a *little* less error prone.

1 - really, small is so, so... not PC. Think green, small is beautiful. I
prefer "radially rightsized" and "radially thoughtlessly oversized"
respectively. (2)
2 - for the benefit of JAL: That's a joke, son.

++Lar