 Database / Set Inventories / 202
Re: Question on 8277 Inventory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.inv
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 06:24:23 GMT

Robert Munafo wrote in message ...
I ran into that problem too, and the solution I came up with looks like • this:

7171
Names: Mos Espa Podrace
Inventory: by "John Cromer" <cro@astro.caltech.edu>
Count   Color ---ID---  Description
   1      n/a 7171-sa1  Subassembly box, Anakin's Podracer (7171-sa1) • ...
7171-sa1
Names: Anakin's Podracer (Box 4128173-1/3):
Inventory: by "John Cromer" <cro@astro.caltech.edu>
Count   Color ---ID---  Description
   2    black     3020  plate, 2x4 • ...

and so on... you get the idea.

I consider the "sub-box" to be a "component" of the complete set. The • sub-box
gets its own inventory, and the software that handles the data can combine • the
sub-boxes into a single inventory or not, at its choosing.

By the say, the "sa" in "7171-sa1" stands for "subassembly", a term used in • the
administration of assembly-line manufacturing. John Cromer did the • inventory
for set 7171 and provided the box numbers including the "1/3", "2/3", etc.

- Robert Munafo                             www.mrob.com

In lugnet.db.inv, Robert Gaunt writes:
   I have a quick question on how to inventory set 8277, the Giant
Model Set.  Since the set contains a sub-box should the pieces in this
box be inventoried seperately from the rest of the box?  If so, what
should designate these pieces as still coming from set 8277 but from a
sub-box. [...]

I'd say no, there's no standard.

For my inventories, I just count the parts for the whole set.  That's the
compromise I made a couple of yeas ago when I started inventorying, and I
haven't been sorry yet.  So, (to use the same example as Robert Mufano) when
inventorying the 7171 Mos Espa Podrace set, I opened all boxes and counted
all parts together.  I did include each of the boxes them selves in the
inventory (I count all boxes with printing, polybags with printing,
instructions, and stickers in my inventories - they are classified as
'collateral pieces', since they don't affect the 'piece count' total of the
set).

This may not be quite anal enough for some people, but I haven't figured out
a good reason to separate out the individual bags or boxes in my counting.
You generally can't purchase them seperately, so I don't see it as much of
an advantage to track them seperately.

There (of course) are a few exceptions to this, one being the Spaceport 6469
Bonus Pack, which consisted of three other sets; 6452 Mini Rocket, 6458
Satellite with Astronaut and 6465 Space Port Jet.  In this case, I did count
the parts in each individual box.  But that's because each of these boxes
had a separate Lego set number and is also available as a seperately
purchasable unit.  The way I include sub-sets such as this that I have a
special part that indicates a sub-set (this is also counted as a 'collateral
part' since the set itself does not count in the piece count).  Then, in the
comment field, I list the number and name of the set that is contained
within this set.

I thought about allowing for the DB to recurse back onto itself, and allow
sets to actually contain sets as parts, but it didn't seem worth the effort
to me.

Also, Robert, since you count parts packaged in separate boxes, what to you
do about Town Jr. sets where each unit comes in a separate polybag?   Do you
count each polybag seperately?  Just curious.

Let us know what you finally decide to do.  I'd be interested to know how
many other people count included boxes and polybags seperately.

Kim