 Color / 895
Re: Open letter to the CEO of the LEGO Company / Call for your signs! (no discussions here please)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 18:36:32 GMT

   I’m going to comment here, since those who disagree with the letter have already ignored the request to discuss its content in another thread.

I can’t believe you are seriously asking why TLC should make more of the old-color bulk packs, when the stock has run out.
  • They have sold out in 8 months or so (not “ages”), in a time when old colors where still widely availiable in clearance sets and Pick-a-Brick.

  • They sold at full price to AFOLs, instead of at wholesale to Dollar General like a lot of recent TLC offerings.
Given it’s current financial situation, why WOULDN’T TLC make more old-color bulk packs?

Marc Nelson Jr.

First, if the packs sold out in days or weeks, not months--perhaps *someone* would notice. If it took 8 months to sell 10,000 packs...that’s and average of 42 packs a day. That’s not a very rapid fill rate, nor is it something for a manufacturing tracking system to spot as some kind of “flashpoint/top mover” kind of thing.

Second, Do you run a plastics company, know the capacity planning of your existing equipment as it relates to current customer demand, and know how *easy* it is to change your product mix? If you’ve never done it, it’s not as easy as pushing a button. In some cases, it’s akin to pulling out the bottom card on a house of cards. Pull the card, the house collapses, and the entire thing has to be redone. That takes extra time, and time=money.

Scott Lyttle