Re: CW Map (was Re: Lego Castle - the complete world)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 00:15:05 GMT

Whoa! Shame on me for misrreading this post, and for not replying right away!!

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Richard Marchetti writes:
I would be willing to mock up a sketch based on what I know Craigo was
doing.  And then perhaps the idea could be presented to all CW interested
persons for a decision before a final map is developed.  I could probably
have the initial sketch done fairly quickly -- say a few weeks.

Richard, that would be *GREAT*. I mean, absolutely wonderful. I'd love that.

As it stands, I *could* even present Craigo's sketches if it is thought the
sketches were intended for CW, as I feel they were.  I have a hard time
deciding such things on my own though.  I know Craigo was doing this work
for everyone involved with CW, at the same time I don't want to disparage
his continued participation in CW in any way.  Anyone who knows the idea he
had about the maps knows also that it was/is brilliant.  Should I or shouldn't
I...?

Tough. Craig wanted the maps for CW, I know, but it's hard to say. It *is*
his artwork, after all; and if he doesn't give us his permission, I'd feel
bad for using it. But I have not been able to get ahold of him at *all*
lately, and I don't think anyone else has. I can't help wondering if he has
really forgotten, or - heaven forbid - stopped caring about CW and lugnet...

Not that anyone asked me, but I still see CW as a kind of framing device for
individual balladeers to tell their stories from a central linking site.

Well, now anyone asked you. Richard, what do you think about CW? <grin>
No, seriously, that is mainly it.

I don't like the idea of telling anyone else how they should or shouldn't tell
their stories whether the issue is guns or magic.

Right!

So to with the map, to me it ought to be intended as a framing
structure, not as some kind of limitation or hindrance to the telling of a
good story.

Definitely! Of course not. If someone feels limited by the proposed map,
they can add their own - dontcha think?

Heck, in addition to a known map, there can almost certainly be
terra incognita.  Those not wanting a parcel of known land, can opt for
that.  Terra Brickus Incognita anyone?

Terra incognita? Sorry, I'm behind on latin. Translation?

I agree with what I *think* you're saying. I know some people want their
realms in a "parallel" space or whatnot, accessible only by majick. And that
seems fair to me...

I guess when Nathan McDowell mentioned the anniversary of CW a few weeks
back, I lamented Craigo's absence as well as the absence of a CW map as was
originally envisioned.  I'd love to get the CW fire burning again...!

<enthusiastic nodding>

I was holding back because I was disappointed by my own procrastination, and
felt like I should shut up until I show something (Gareth's Abode). But oh,
yes, definitely, I get the feeling people have things in planning, but are
holding back. And that's just... not good!

Any thoughts?  I am calling upon all CW regulars for replies in addition to
the expected reply from "Big Daddy" Nazarewicz.

Hmmm, he mentioned he isn't following lugnet regularly lately, maybe email
him a link to the post?

-- Richard (paging Mr. Hamilton, white courtesy telephone please...)

Careful, now, there's another Mr. Hamilton in the area, (the amazing Brad as
opposed to the amazing Craig!) so you wanna be careful about "who you gonna
call"! <grin>

P.S. As the Anti-Judge Dredd, I am *NOT* the law!  Just swinging my ideas
around like they were dead cats...

Dead cats are always welcome... errr, good ideas, I mean. Um, yeah. ;-)

-Shiri