Re: CW Map
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 19:41:28 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Richard Marchetti writes:
In lugnet.castle, Pawel Nazarewicz writes:
I would love for someone to step in and make a map.  I would volunteer to
participate in the process, but I just don't think I can artistically make
anything.

I would be willing to mock up a sketch based on what I know Craigo was
doing.  And then perhaps the idea could be presented to all CW interested
persons for a decision before a final map is developed.  I could probably
have the initial sketch done fairly quickly -- say a few weeks.

As it stands, I *could* even present Craigo's sketches if it is thought the
sketches were intended for CW, as I feel they were.  I have a hard time
deciding such things on my own though.  I know Craigo was doing this work
for everyone involved with CW, at the same time I don't want to disparage
his continued participation in CW in any way.  Anyone who knows the idea he
had about the maps knows also that it was/is brilliant.  Should I or shouldn't
I...?

I for one would like to see the maps.  I also think it would be great if you
could step in and help out with the map, you know more about it than most of
us and how to implement it.  I really don't know if Craigo has had time to
work on them or not, no one has heard from him in a while it seems like, so
I think it's a safe bet that if he *is* planning on bringing them out of
hiding it could happen tomorrow or a year from now.  In the interest of
getting Castle World set up to how it was originally planned sooner than
later, I'd say go ahead and come up with what you feel like the map needs.

Not that anyone asked me, but I still see CW as a kind of framing device for
individual balladeers to tell their stories from a central linking site.  I
don't like the idea of telling anyone else how they should or shouldn't tell
their stories whether the issue is guns or magic.  I figure if cannon can
appear in the canon of Arthuriam literature, we can tolerate that and more
in CW.  So to with the map, to me it ought to be intended as a framing
structure, not as some kind of limitation or hindrance to the telling of a
good story.  Heck, in addition to a known map, there can almost certainly be
terra incognita.  Those not wanting a parcel of known land, can opt for
that.  Terra Brickus Incognita anyone?

I see Castle World the same way, as how it was originally intended.  Rules
for how your realm works are up to you and shouldn't be dictated by any sort
of admin, Castle World is *not* an online war game.  Maps are just fine,
they help the whole element of visualizing what Castle World is, exactly.
Someone brought up the idea of CW being different universes or diminsions
linked thru portals or what not, that's not how it was intended, really.  It
should be thought of as one world, many realms.  That doesn't stifle
creativity, the world is a big place and if your magic works differently
than someone else's magic, well... magic is magical, that's all there is to
it =).  I for one would like to see my realm on a map and know that it's
north of this person's realm and south of that person's realm, but I'm not
all that concerned about what they do in their own realms or how they do it
(in an admin type of way).  Terra Brickus Incognita is a great idea for
those members who would rather not deal with the maps.  An arrow pointing
north, south, east, or west off of the map with a "To Joe Bagofdonut's
Realm" sign would do the trick if you were really against plunking your
realm down on x,y coordinates =).

Looking forward to see what you come up with, Richard
~Nathan