Re: New Website Design Test
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 02:09:05 GMT

"Anthony Sava" <ajs0093@pop.tamu.edu> writes:

In my own defense, I know perfectly well how to prevent any navigation/frame
errors with links.  I also know how to break out of frames and start new
browser windows.

That's good. I don't! I just know it bugs me when the folks who use frames
get it worng. I hadn't intended my comments as a direct attack on you or
your new page style - my apologies if it came across that way. In fact,
I *like* the look of your pages, both forms. I just dislike frames.

I do have my links at the top of every page, however, I have so many pages that
my buttons get very cumbersome to have on each.

<grin> I "solved" that by just using text links.

If I may play devil's advocate, I will have over 15 pages after my next update
to my page.  Frames is a *wonderful* way of being able to update links without
having to go into every  -  single  -  page  -  which believe you me, isn't
fun.  With frames, I'll be able to update one page, and everything will be
done.  I'm still playing with a vertical frame set, but I have not decided how
to do that one yet, I have so many pages, that my buttons, at least in their
present state, might take up a good quarter of the page, if i have them all
viewable at the same time.  Perhaps I will come up with better, smaller
buttons, but for now, their all I have.

I understand that need. Since getting my digital camera a couple of years
ago, I've put up far too many pages of pointless pictures of trees (that's
the way some friends have described them!). My solution was a truly awful,
geeky one: I wrote some C programs that take simplified descriptions and
emit the HTML for the pages (plus making the thumbnails, and finding
the file sizes). If I change my navigation structure, I have to go edit
the C source files, recompile, and then go rebuild all of my pages from
the unchanged description files.

I've heard there is something called "server side includes" that sounds
like it ought to solve this problem, but I don't know any more than that.

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg@ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
               http://www.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA/cg/