Re: New Website Design Test
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 19:39:59 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Chris Gray writes:
"Frank Filz" <ffilz@mindspring.com> writes:

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Anthony Sava writes:
I've recently toyed with a new design for my website, I'd be real pleased • if
some of you would give me some feedback on it.

Here is my current site:

http://www.geocities.com/savatheaggie/legohome.html

and here is my demo site (no links are active yet):

http://www.geocities.com/savatheaggie/VertIdex.html

Looks decent, though until more of the site is useable, It's hard to say how
well using the frames will work. One comment though, in the right hand • frame,
the main page, it looks like all of your images are not showing up. It may • be a
case sensitivity issue, but one image is also just named "9".

What isn't showing up is the hit counter - likely that's deliberate.

Everything looks fine for me using Netscape under Linux. The text is all
readily readable, and the images look fine. You might make your email
address into a "mailto" (just use <a href="mailto:user@domain">text</a> .

I do have one overall comment, however: I dislike frames in general. They
take away one of the most important resources in a browser window: horizontal
space. I don't run with my browswer window full screen, I like to have
other windows visible around/behind it so that I can do things like cut
and paste URL's, etc. The use of frames then makes the main frame narrower
than the browser window by the width of any other frames (and the scrollbar
the browser puts in since my window is also not full height). A big image,
or a wide table or some pre-formatted text then doesn't fit and I have
to scroll back and forth (with yet another scrollbar taking up valuable
space) to see it all.

Another problem with frames is that it is nearly always the case that when
someone follows a link out of a frame, the page doesn't do the proper
frame resetting, and the new page ends up being shown inside the old frame,
and the navigation frame (or whatever) from the old page is still there!
That can be quite annoying, especially if you get a couple of the left-over
frames stealing a lot of space.

In my own defense, I know perfectly well how to prevent any navigation/frame
errors with links.  I also know how to break out of frames and start new
browser windows.

Rather than using frames, my suggestion is to make all of your pages have
a consistent navigation structure. E.g. in your case, put all of the
link boxes and graphics at the top of *every* page. If you can make them
a bit smaller, they won't occupy much room. The big difference here is
that they aren't stealing horizontal space. The other is that, even in
the presence of unclosed frames, they go away when a link is followed
to someone else's page.

I do have my links at the top of every page, however, I have so many pages that
my buttons get very cumbersome to have on each.

If I may play devil's advocate, I will have over 15 pages after my next update
to my page.  Frames is a *wonderful* way of being able to update links without
having to go into every  -  single  -  page  -  which believe you me, isn't
fun.  With frames, I'll be able to update one page, and everything will be
done.  I'm still playing with a vertical frame set, but I have not decided how
to do that one yet, I have so many pages, that my buttons, at least in their
present state, might take up a good quarter of the page, if i have them all
viewable at the same time.  Perhaps I will come up with better, smaller
buttons, but for now, their all I have.

Anyway, that's my two cents, thanks for the feedback.

--Anthony