Re: An attempt to get back on track with my CW questions.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 19:33:01 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Andrew Krug writes:
I apologize that my CW question began to spin off into a comic book
discussion.  You know how things go.  That has been moved to the off topic
debate area however and now I would like to restate my theory on CW and once
again ask for feedback:

  lugnet.castle.org.cw is the first step to getting back on track!

Hello Castle Dwellers

Well the amount of feedback I'm getting regarding my questions has been
impressive and once again thanks for all the input and discussion.  I haven't
figured out how to cut text from multipule messages in the string to add to
this message for reference so I had to do things the old fashioned way and
just print paper copies of all the messages and then try to refer to them as I
type (so if I miss some things please forgive me).

   "whatever works", i always say.  ;-)

While the idea of focusing on either an evil or good theme within a kingdom
and then working toward building large amounts of stuff and characters
centered on that one theme appeals to me, I can understand the desire to have
some of both in each kingdom for the sake of self-contained storylines.  I
have both good and evil (and as Shiri noted neither of which is always
absolute) now, but I'm the kind of person who likes to build on a grand scale
(which of course is more or less grand depending on who you talk to) and would
have no problem picking a side (good or evil) and then trading away most of my
mini-figs on one side for an even number of figs on the other.  I do know
however that people tend to be protective of their private hoards of Legos
(much as a dragon is with his treasure) and don't like to think of giving any
up (regardless of how good the cause may seem)in trade.

  aha! the builder's quandry of trading.  i know too well... as soon as you
trade it, that's when you need it! for the playabiliity that your daughter
will one day want, keep a variety of figs.  also for CW use, having extras
around of fig parts affords you the ability to build characters from other
realms.

Now one idea I've seen and really liked is the capital city idea.  This would
be a great central place for portals to other lands and interaction between
worlds.  With this idea in mind I envision CW like this:

Imagine CW as a wheel.  In the center of the wheel you have the capital city
and perhaps a group generated world that is unified in general storyline and
yet built by multiple persons.  Perhaps this world could have several major
good and evil characters fighting for control and iteracting in storylines.
Then from the Capital City you have the embassy buildings that have portals
(the spokes of the wheel) that radiate toward individual people's realms.  It
seems that in this way we could have the best of all things neatly contained
in the framework of CW!!!!  The center of the wheel would be where the
structures of CW exist along with lists of creatures and characters, and then
perhaps on the map of Castle World (which would look like a wheel with the CW
unified realm world map in the center) you could put links at the end of each
spoke that lead to the other sub-realms of members individual websites (kind
of like it is now on the Balladeer page).

  i don't know if you've read through all the map discussions from the past,
("realm scale" 'tis most infamous!;-) but this is the very concept of the
overall CW map.  rather than a focused capital city, though, the center is a
null point; a vortex in the middle of the central legocean (represented by
the blue and black spiral element on the CW logo).  this affords the site
navigation overlay quality.  same idea, only with a hollow center for
infinite world to surround.  overlay with a grid that bears scale and
proportion to overhead lego...

I know when I first checked out CW I was confused by how it all tied
together.  It seemed more to me as a place to showcase individual structures
and people's characters with no thread of continuity.

   well, it doesn't all tie together... yet! that simply takes time to
build. CW isn't really that old, and all the current balladeers are working
on getting their own realms situated and established.  a few of us have done
some cross-overs, which is a beginning. (and all, much harder than it
looks).  building our stories and models together is what creates that
continuity.  also writing into the past.  perhaps some of my older wizards
knew shiri's big five...)  it's a tapestry, and the first of the seamsters
have gathered and laid out their threads.

That is not to say that
was bad if that was the purpose of CW but it left me wondering is that all it
was supposed to be.  It seems like if we use the wheel analogy we can make it
that and more.  Just don't ask me how to make it work on a computer from a
technology standpoint!!!!

   that's what's taking me so long! i'm learning as fast as i can, and will
have a pc/scanner by dec. you've conceptualized how elaborate a map like
this is. hammering out realms big enough and fretting about all the spaces
in between occupied realms has been my true on-going lego project for the
past 5 months.

  (and just to keep your minds at rest... the realms will be HUGE, you'll
have as many as you need, and nobody will move in too close to you without
your permission!) poor gregor... he thought he'd only get one 32x32
baseplate in castleworld, and see what happened!

http://community.webtv.net/castleworld/gregortower

  oh what a shameless plug! ;-)

In this way people that specialize in a singular force can be in the central
CW realm where they have the ability to interact with other singular force
folks and those who have worlds with all factions represented can have their
own world yet easily visit the central CW for crossover storylines.

I suppose I have some time to wait for this all to happen seeing as my
daughter still prefers to put my legos in her mouth rather than build with
them but I would like to get a storyline going in time to be able to entertain
her with my creativeness =)

  i shudder to think how many ballads will be archived by the time she's old
enough to read!

Thanks again to Craig, Shiri, Chris, Kyle, John,
binky, and Matt for all your feedback, suggestions, and opinions.  My wife is
not an AFOL (I know there is some term for her but I can't remember the right
letter combination) and only at LUGNET can I find a haven for my Lego
ramblings.

  hey, andy, that's what we're all here for! (NLSO ~ Non-LEGO Significant Other)

Thanks and PLEASE PASS THE BRICKS!!!!!

Andy

  (is that like "quit bogie-ing the bricks?" you'll find many threads on
lego addiction, here!)

  later ~ craig~