IOM:A simple run (continued)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 12:01:55 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.castle.org, James Howse writes:
This is just the start, but I thought I'd better begin. Unfortunately I won't
have any pictures for at least a month. So far most of the people on tIoM
are royalty or there on orders, I wondered how a group who ended up there >>by accident would go?
Sounds excellent! You're onto a very cool idea. I never even thought of
having someone get to the island by accident! That would *definitely* make
for an interesting story - and probably a lot of whiney grouches, too!

Out of curiosity - what makes the names so unoriginal?

If nobody notices then I guess it's not a problem

Also - if you want a few pictures taken I'm sure I could arrange
something... (errm, I should probably get my own pics done first, but I
could try to snap a few for you if you want...)

Thanks, I'll wait 'til I've had a play and built the characters (and perhaps
even the Windchaser) first, I'm currently separated from most of my LEGO.

Waiting to see what you've got up your sleeve,

Here it comes then. I'm told its another introduction, but this givesmore
information on who some of the people involved are. I promise there will be
action tommorrow!
-------------
Captain Jayn Seaplate of the Windchaser had got out of the wrong side of bed
this morning. Her mood was compounded by the fact that it wasn't even her
own bed. Her cabin had been given over to the stuffed peacock who was the
Ambassador to Makasar, Ludwig Solent Tile, Emissary of His Leonic Majesty
The King of Baruma. Currently his Ambassadorness was still asleep but Jayn
knew he'd be woken by the change in tack necessary to keep on course.

His constant complaining had made yesterday even more exhausting than it
might have been. Threading through the Zarof reefs was tricky at the best of
times and having to answer query after protest made it nearly impossible.
Jayn had not even found time to check the CBNnews. Tile's obstreperousness
forcefully reminded Jayn why she disliked carrying passengers so much.
Bright silks and gems couldn't complain about the wind, the food or the
motion of the ship. She was glad it was only a four-day trip from Maurit,
with half of it already gone.

Although getting old, the Windchaser was still in good trim, a sleek ship,
fast and nimble. The keel was laid down the same year Jayn's father Anders
was born, a fact he'd taken obscure pleasure in. He acquired the ship the
same year he met Jayn's mother, on one of his first voyages in his new ship.
But Jayn's mother had died when Jayn was young and her father had gone
missing seven, or no, it would be eight years ago now. Her long search for
him was now a distant memory but his absence was still a daily hurt. Jayn
wanted to make enough money to search again but knew, deep down that it
would prove fruitless if she did.

If Tile was the bad side of taking passengers, the good stood at the railing
nearby, his grey hair free in the wind. One of her three other fares (not
counting the Ambassador's guardsmen) Arkan Greybeard had been a long friend
of her father's and she would have taken him anywhere he wanted to go for
free. But he had insisted that she be paid and, the fates knew, the ship
needed the money. This trip would take them closer to the Middle Islands and
the rich trade routes running around the greater Cities so, fates willing,
they would be sure to earn good money out of the next few cargoes.

Trying to shake off her melancholy mood, Jayn yelled orders to the two
sailors on deck. Scrambling aloft the prepared to adjust the sails as she
swung the wheel hard about. A smile played across her face as she was
rewarded with a bump and cursing from the cabin below her feet. Forgetting
coin and family, destination and half wishes, Jayn swayed with the merry
dance of the Windchaser across the waves. Some days it was almost worth
getting out of bed.