 Castle / 8187
Re: which is better 6066 or 6077
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 04:13:27 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Nathan Todd writes:

I'm just wondering which is considered the better forestmen set 6066
(camoflauged outpost) or 6077 (woodsmen water fortress)? I know 6077 sells
for more, but is it really better? Any thoughts?

Hmm, quite possibly the two best Castle sets TLG ever made, at least that I
have personal experience with. . .tough choice. . .oh, wait, *that* 6077.
Well, then, definitely the Camoflaged Outpost.  It's both the first Forestmen
set and the one which best captures the idea of a band of men hiding out in
their forest.  Although the Forestmen's River Fortress is a nice fort, is not
"discreet", which is what I associate with Forestmen (whether one thinks of
them as outlaws, outcasts, merry woodmen, or commandos).  The Fortress has a
nice fold-open ability, but looks *really boring* from the back.  The Outpost
features three distinct hinge points, and really looks good from all angles (in
fact, it's one of the few sets that you can't really appreciate from one
photo--you need at least two or three to get it all).

Other things of note about 6066:  the Forestmen entered the scene full-blown
with this set (6 figs, compare 5+1 for the half again larger Fortress), with a
new torso (in three colors) and a new color for the old peasant torso.  This
was the first Castle set to try building a tree from parts (as far as I know)
and I believe this was the first set to feature a brown horse.  Nice set, that.
. .I still remember pulling the money from my bank account to buy it from a
now-long-defunct toy store (one of the very few withdrawals of my youth).

TWS Garrison