 Castle / 7886
Re: Custom Helmets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 00:13:41 GMT

Funny you should mention this!  This is my (other) toy-related hobby.  I use RTV
rubber molds to make parts for custom action figures.  I tried it once with the
maiden's headdress and was able to make a pour-mold that made a passable replica.  Of
course, pour-molding isn't injection-molding and resin isn't ABS so it doesn't
produce the nice tight fit of the original, but at least it looked pretty darn close
to the original.  If you want a beginner's guide to mold-making and casting in
synthetic resin, I put up a basic page here:
http://home.att.net/~motoslave/RTVmold-clay.htm
You can email me for details if you're interested in trying.  There's another company
called Smooth-On that has a starter kit with the RTV rubber, mold release, and some
plastic resin for like $20 (a real bargain as far as these kits go; Micro-Mark's is
like twice that).  Their website is http://www.smooth-on.com/.

"kyle peterson" <kyle@peterson.net> wrote in message news:G8v06B.7os@lugnet.com...
Very nicely executed.  Cast helmets or hand-carved?
Bruce

Sculpy and a Wizard cordless dremel tool (and *very* steady hands).

If anyone knows someone who has access to a cast molding machine, perhaps we
could consider making a mold and producing plastic replicas? Just a thought.

-Kyle